Friday, October 3, 2014

Preliminary Notes: The Why, What and Who

This site is born out of the notion that there is a place in modern life for domesticity.  I believe that both men and women can and should enjoy a rich domestic life and that children benefit from the cultivation of domesticity.

Homemaking is an art that imparts dignity to humans and deserves respect--and perhaps even a revival. Unfortunately in modern culture 'homemaking' sometimes equates to only decorating, or crafting, or do-it-yourself projects, or foodie-style cooking.  I have seen blogs that imply that homemaking is gender-specific.  I have seen impossible standards of decor or organization heralded. Decorating, crafting, projects, cooking, and organization can all be valuable aspects of home life, but they do not hit the root of domesticity. 

What's the point of all this domesticity? I believe that the purpose of a home is to foster us as humans as we grow and become who we are meant to be.  It is a place where we can continuously become ourselves. This is as true for a retiree as it is for a child.

I am a Christian, so I believe this means it is a place where we become who God created us to be; however, you don't have to be a Christian in order to believe that your home is a place for growth, comfort and "becoming."

I hope that this space will be a place to encourage anyone in their domestic pursuits and the development of a graceful and healthy home life.  It is absolutely a place for imperfectionists. 

Who are you? I am a writer (also: poet, philosopher, and attorney-on-longtime-sabbatical) living in the mountains with my husband and my two young children.  At this time our household also includes our big, wonderful dog Bosco, a petulant cat named Anastasia and two one fish.Updated as of August 2016: we now have a sweet and darling indoor cat named Alice as well!

What is your home like? We live in a very average ranch-style house that was built in 1993. Before our basement was finished in 2013, our living area was 1135 square feet; with the finished basement we are now living in a whopping (it feels like it!) 1800 square feet. We live in a semi-rural area on a farm that has been in my family since the 1930's; our children are the fifth generation to live here. Our house is nothing spectacular, unusual or posh.  I love it!  But it took years for me to love it, which I'm sure I'll discuss sometime.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Polly, I feel so blessed to have "wondered" into your blog home. I have actually spent considerable time today and yesterday reading your posts and of your husband's cancer situation. You are an amazing young woman and truly honor our Lord here in your blog. I find such encouragement from your posts and for that I am grateful.
    --Dorothy

    ReplyDelete
  2. My friend has blog called The Joyful cottage, but just weeks ago changed it to A joyful heart. I just found your lovely blog today. I love the Lord also and am a mountain dweller in NC. I bought a tiny 570' farmhouse sight unseen knowing that God was orchestrating the big relocation from WA state. I love your description of the purpose of a home. I am going to sift around your farmhouse and look for photos of it. Many blessings.

    ReplyDelete