Friday, October 24, 2014

An October Baby Shower

Several years ago my dear friend was pregnant with her second child--who is 17 years younger than her first child!  I threw a baby shower for her and it was such a pleasure. Things worked out so perfectly that the shower fell in autumn--her favorite season and an easy time of year to work rustic beauty into the scheme.

I decided to use my brown and cream china and work forward from that.  I wanted cream and brown invitations, and found these--perfect!

Layered the table with a white cloth and then a long rustic piece of fabric the thrift store presented me with a few weeks before the shower. Set it up with my china, supplemented by more cream plates I had gathered at the thrift store to fill it out.  A couple of cream candles and some flowers and that was that!


The menu was good and very easy: vegetables and dip, pumpkin-chocolate chip mini-muffins, mushroom and leek mini-quiches, chicken salad with pecans and cranberries in phyllo cups, traditional cucumber sandwiches, hot ham and swiss rolls, M&Ms, carob raisins, salted almonds. 

I set my buffet with a tablescape that I loved, with a long swath of thrift store fabric along the top. 

The cake's top layer was lemon and the bottom layer was spice.  At the last minute I gathered twigs and berries from the yard to garnish the bottom. 


My emptied-out hand sewing basket held the favors. 


White pumpkins and gourds, a few leaves a rustic fork holder!

We drank hot spiced cider or Perrier and got very, very cozy in my small main room. It was a sweet afternoon!

No comments:

Post a Comment