Sunday, May 10, 2015

Mother's Day Luncheon and A Gluten-Free Brownie Recipe

Today after Sunday School and church we hosted my mother-in-law (and father-in-law, and brother-in-law!) for lunch.  I basically copied the menu from my last luncheon because it was so easy for the vegan person, gluten-free child, and carnivorous guests.  I baked brownies for dessert today, though, and topped them with mint-chocolate chip ice cream because my mother-in-law likes mint!  


Many mothers were represented today: 

the tablecloth was a gift from my stepmother
the linen napkins were passed down from my paternal great-grandmother
the plates were from my mother-in-law's mother
the flatware is from my father-in-law's mother
the peonies are from my garden, but my aunt gave the plants to me a few years ago
....and we had lunch in the house my mother built! 

I did not do any of this intentionally--it's just that a sentimental sort like myself finds these connections easily.  

*            *            *

As an added bonus: Gluten Free Brownies a la The Joyful House

*Melt 2 sticks of butter (or equivalent dairy-free version like Earth Balance) on stovetop
*While it's melting, combine 1/2 c. oat flour and 1/2 c. sorghum flour with 3/4 c. (preferably Dutch-process) cocoa powder, 1 tsp baking powder, and 1/2 tsp. salt in a small bowl
*Remove butter from heat and let cool slightly 
*In a large bowl, beat four eggs with 1.5 cups of sucanat (or sugar)
*Add butter to egg-sugar mixture and mix well
*Add dry ingredients to butter-egg-sugar and mix until well-combined
*Bake at 350 in 9x13 until done (about 15 minutes in my oven!)

Happy Mother's Day!


No comments:

Post a Comment