Tuesday, May 19, 2015

On Interruptions

“The great thing, if one can, is to stop regarding all the unpleasant things as interruptions of one's 'own,' or 'real' life. The truth is of course that what one calls the interruptions are precisely one's real life -- the life God is sending one day by day.” 

-C.S. Lewis, The Collected Works of C.S. Lewis

Yes.  Last night I was cutting my husband's hair on our deck at twilight and found myself saying, as we discussed difficult interpersonal situations with neighbors, a work situation he faces, a hard church issue, that our difficulties are also our means of sanctification.  Embracing this as "real life" and the life that God is sending us each day shifts the paradigm completely and makes me see problems as opportunities to show God's love to the world (and to grow in holiness).  

We are all works in progress--me most of all! 

No comments:

Post a Comment