Sunday, September 6, 2015

The Greco-Roman (and *mostly* gluten-free) Toga Party

Finn had planned the day for months: a toga party, featuring food, toga-wearing attendees, and commemorating the anniversary of the explosion of Mount Vesuvius.

So on August 24 we had our feast.  I realize that Pompeii is in Italy, but we went with Greek food: it's so good and easy to make gluten-free. We'll just call it a Greco-Roman toga party. We invited my in-laws and I started to cook.

The makings of spanakopita (I love dill!!),


the makings of moussaka (made with beef from our farm!),


the makings of more spanakopita,


my favorite tray, which involved a spinach-feta filling in phyllo cups and tomato-feta-balsamic skewers,


my fauxnakopita (that's what I'm calling it, because I did not use phyllo dough--just pie crust),


gorgeous black grapes and delicious dolma, 


a crudite-and-hummus platter,


and not pictured were pita crisps and a big pan of moussaka.  

I lost it twice: when I put the toga on my husband, and when my in-laws showed up in togas.  They had driven to our house wearing togas.  I don't think I will ever recover from the hysterics.

No comments:

Post a Comment