Saturday, December 19, 2015

A Day of Celebration and Preparation

Today we celebrated Christmas with my sister (she has to work on Christmas Day, unfortunately), complete with fresh gingerbread, whipped cream, fruit, and breakfast casserole....and coffee and tea....and eggnog for the *one* person who will drink it (my sister!).  She loved her gifts from us and our children especially loved their gifts from her, so it was a pleasant and sweet morning.

After the festivities were done I went to work and haven't stopped since.  I tidied up, sewed a billy goat beard for Finn's costume tomorrow, packed a suitcase full of costumes, programs, shoes and other needed items for tomorrow's marathon day at church, had my annual Fruitcake Baking Day, washed a lot of dishes, Kondo'ed the craft and art supplies, totally reorganized the pantry (including printing labels!), practiced playing duets with Finn on the piano in preparation for the church prelude tomorrow, wrapped the fruitcakes in brandy-soaked cheesecloth and aluminum foil and then placed them in an airtight bin, baked a batch of oatmeal cookies and made rice krispie goodies (both for tomorrow's church marathon), read lines for tomorrow's church play with my husband, cooked chicken soup for tomorrow night's dinner, and cleaned the kitchen again.  And, it seems, again.  How many times today have I run up and down the stairs? A zillion. 

I was going to chalk paint a desk, but I ran out of time. I am just too tired to contemplate it, so I'll do it Monday! Instead I think I'm going to take a hot Epsom salts bath with a glass of water and lemon juice, and then go to bed.

Some days I feel I've earned my Sabbath rest.  Today is one of those days!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! I am jealous of your energy. Most days I feel like a hamster in a wheel running but going nowhere. I'm sure your sense of accomplishment is very rewarding. I am going to look into the Kondo book you keep mentioning. I really want to simplify things in my life for the new year. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim, believe me when I say that there are many, many "hamster in a wheel" days here! :) I do love Marie Kondo's book--hope you enjoy it. Merry Christmas to you!

      Delete