Friday, July 22, 2016

Porch Pillows

A couple of weeks ago I sewed two accent pillows for our porch. I've had the fabric and the (thrifted) pillow forms forever, but just didn't get around to it until now.  I used thrifted zippers, too, that I bought last year for .25 each.  


The fun part of this was making a pillow cover for the cat's little wicker bed.  The bare pillow that had been there before was not only dirty, it was ugly.  I assessed it and decided not to even try to wash it, so I cut the cover off.  The fluffy stuff inside was, to my surprise, in perfect condition!

So.  I first sewed a new "permanent" cover.  I found old white fabric that had been the lining of our former bedroom curtains (silk panels that eventually got worn to shreds--I have salvaged pieces for Halloween costumes).  I used the cotton lining to make a new pillow cover, and just sewed it shut--I can wash it without a problem. 

Then, for the *nice* cover, I used scraps from the accent pillows. I had to piece the front. I used our old shower curtain for the back (it was a dropcloth).  I used the last of the velcro for the closure, because I didn't want to waste a zipper on a cat's pillow.  


Annie and I furiously washed the porch and then put everything back.  The porch itself is shabby and in need of restoration (or total replacement), but it's clean and cute now! With its evening shade, it's the perfect place to settle down on a hot evening to watch the fireflies and enjoy the flowers. 

Do the best you can, where you are, with what you have!

1 comment: