Monday, May 1, 2017

Finn Does Beethoven

Today is Kitchen Day, which typically means I scrub the kitchen, but today I roasted a turkey, baked gingerbread, and went through the freezer.  One of my goals for May is to bake and cook my way through my freezers, to make way for the summer bounty. Whew.

Accompanying my cleaning today was this wonderful music: Finn played the old piano (rich sound, ivory keys) downstairs.  He took the main theme of "Ode to Joy" from Beethoven's Ninth Symphony and improvised and riffed off of it, going high treble for some parts, low bass for others.  He played with the dynamics, occasionally used the damper, and added extra notes.  Sometimes the song would built to a crescendo with extra little bass notes thrown into the mix; other times he played way high and slowed down before adding the theme into the bass notes.  


It was heartbreakingly beautiful, once I realized what was happening.  Finally I had to just stop everything and sit down and listen.  I didn't understand how he kept bringing it back to the same theme so effortlessly, but he did.  


Truly, truly: goosebumps.  And I love that he loves this music. 

Do you bow down before Him, you millions?
Do you sense your Creator, o world?
Seek Him above the canopy of stars!
He must dwell beyond the stars. 

No comments:

Post a Comment