Monday, May 8, 2017

The 20-Cent Dress

Sometime last year I made this lightweight dress for Annie out of a vintage pattern. I used fabric from the thrift store (it was something like $1 for 5 yards of a nice lightweight cotton); I also lined the bodice in yellow thrifted cotton.  I used some vintage buttons from my neverending button stash. All told I think the dress probably cost about twenty cents to make.  Not bad!

This was my first experience with sewing a collar. It was fine.


The flower on the sash was my own touch.


The pattern called for little gathered sleeves with puffs, but by the time I got to that point I was losing steam!  I should have sliced that armscye in closer as a result, but did I mention "losing steam?"  I just popped some self-binding on and called it a day, and we're all perfectly happy with it. 

Cool and comfortable and feminine and vintage-inspired; all she needs is a lemonade and a big straw hat. 

No comments:

Post a Comment