Friday, July 21, 2017

A Hundred Freedoms

"Lou hoped scandalously to live her own life....[she] had long since cut out fashion and all radio but the Red Sox.  In the past few years she had let go her ties to people she did not like, to ironing, to dining out in town, and to buying not necessary and that themselves needed care.  She ignored whatever did not interest her.  With those blows she opened her days like a pinata. A hundred freedoms fell on her.  She hitched free years to her lifespan like a kite tail.  Everyone envied her the time she had, not noticing that they had equal time."

                    --Annie Dillard, The Maytrees

Although I don't think I will ever cut out fashion, ironing, or dining out in town, I can think of a few things that I *can* cut out.  To open my days like a pinata.....

1 comment:

  1. I read this a long time ago, but I didn't remember this part. It's a good point to ponder, cutting out things that don't matter to me, so I have time for the things that do. The older my kids get, the more I have to fine-tune my days, or else I'll be swept up in simply marking off my to do list (and my to go list, ugh!).

    ReplyDelete