Friday, November 2, 2018

Curried Red Lentil Soup (Gluten-Free, Vegan)

This is a recipe for a family staple that I make at least twice a month.  Finn absolutely loves it; Annie tolerates it; and my husband and I never tire of it.  When Finn was a little guy, our local natural foods co-op had a great little deli restaurant.  He was gluten-free and dairy-free in those days, so our Tuesday treat was to go into the city, go to the farmers' market, and have lunch at the co-op deli.  I always got this soup for Finn, and he loved it so much that one day I asked the waitress if I could get the recipe.

"Oh, I don't know," she said, "he [meaning the chef] is kind of funny about those things...."

She went to the back.  I saw the chef looking at us. He'd seen us a million times before.  A few minutes later, he shuffled out to my table, tossed a sheet of paper on it, said "hope you're good at math" with a wry chuckle, then walked away.

YES! I got the coveted recipe! And I *am* good at math, so I could reduce the enormous quantities of the original recipe in proportion and come up with something appropriate for the home cook.  Since then I've tweaked it slightly (and memorized it so I never actually look at the recipe), and the chef has moved on, and I haven't seen this soup at that deli for a long time, so I will post it here in case you need a bit of curried carrot comfort during these chilly autumn days--at least for those of us in the northern hemisphere!


*Curried Red Lentil Soup*

2 T. olive oil
2 large onions, diced (you can definitely use more!)
8 c. water
2 cups dry red lentils (rinsed and drained)
2 pounds carrots, peeled and chopped 
2 14-oz coconut milk
1 tsp. salt
2 bay leaves

for the spices
1 T. olive oil
2 T. fresh ginger, minced
2 T. curry powder
1 T. fresh garlic, minced
1 bunch cilantro, chopped

Heat oil in a large soup pot. Add onions and cook until they begin to brown slightly.  Add water, lentils, carrots, coconut milk, salt and bay leaves. Cover and bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until the carrots and lentils are tender. Remove from heat.

In a small saute pan, heat the oil over medium heat, and then add the ginger, curry powder, garlic and cilantro, and saute for 2 minutes, stirring frequently.  Add to the lentil mixture.

Remove the bay leaf, puree with an immersion blender, and serve. 

*              *           * 

Although it seems like a beta carotene overkill, we like to eat this soup with my vegan, gluten-free pumpkin chocolate chip muffins.  The recipe for those is here (and I actually double this and make 24 muffins every time, freezing leftovers for to have for quick breakfasts or my children's bedtime snacks).  Something about the curry flavor of the soup and the warm cinnamon and ginger spices of the muffins works quite well together, at least in our opinions.

Happy cooking!

2 comments:

  1. I'm happy for you and your family that you're home again.

    I am looking forward to trying this soup! I know my husband will like this, and as for the kids . . . who knows? Maybe.

    Here's a recipe of mine that is similar but different. Perhaps you'd enjoy it too.

    ———

    Golden coconut lentil soup

    2 onions
    6 carrots
    2 tablespoons minced garlic
    1 tablespoon fresh ginger
    6 cups water
    1 1/2 cups red lentils
    1 tablespoon turmeric
    1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes

    1 14-ounce can light coconut milk
    1 tablespoon salt (to taste)
    a few drops coconut extract (optional)
    1 bunch cilantro

    2 cups rice, cooked

    Sauté onions and carrots in a little water in large pot. Add garlic and ginger. Add water, lentils, turmeric, and red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil and simmer 20 minutes or more, until lentils are soft. Add coconut milk, salt, and coconut extract and simmer for a few minutes more. Blend lightly with stick blender. Add cilantro right before serving. Serve over rice.

    Serves 6–8

    Total time: 40–60 minutes

    ReplyDelete