Tuesday, December 4, 2018

Giving Thanks

My husband had a very difficult week before Thanksgiving, but things have stabilized now.  I was the woman peeling into Urgent Care at 7:57pm the night before Thanksgiving, when the clinic closes at 8pm.....sigh.  In any event, he's alright and although he had to spend most of the holiday in bed, he rallied over the following weekend and is now better. 

In the midst of it, we are joyful and happy. This post sums it up for me. 

A smattering of our days, these days:

*Reading, always reading: books for me, books for the children, re-reads.  So much reading.

*Decorating the porch.  My father-in-law helped me get a Christmas tree (my husband wasn't up for it) and I asked him to get the clippings, too--and I had a *ton!* I made two wreaths and filled two containers with greenery. I'll have to take a photo! My porch looks so simple and beautiful now!

*Children doing ballet and piano.  Children spreading a Lego city all over the living room coffee table, and it has stayed for days.  Children looking through books and putting on plays and watching Shakespeare and always, always chattering. I love my children!

*Hot epsom salt baths, as many nights of the week as I can manage it.

*Finishing up the Christmas shopping! I hope to finish up with Finn on Friday (we have an appointment, then lunch together, then shopping!) and finish wrapping all the gifts on Saturday.  And then it will be time for cookie baking!

*Praying every day for a clean PET scan on December 27. 

*Learning more than I ever thought I'd know about lymphedema, physical therapy for jaw opening and lymphatic drainage, feeding tube sites, and so on.  

*Ignoring little messes.

*Exercising: lots of elliptical trainer work, walking, jumping rope, resistance training.  All of it at home or on the hills outside.  An hour or more a day.  It keeps me sane and balanced and feeling really, really good. 

*New math curriculum for Annie, plugging along with the old with Finn. 

*Hearing lots of piano music as Finn plays and practices in preparation for recital and, in the more distant future, for a spring festival competition. 

*Preparing for our Christmas play this year. My husband writes the script and directs the play at church every year, catering it to the kids we have (there are four children in our church).  Our son has a comedic role this year, which he'll pull off well....he's a funny guy. 

And lots of gratitude.  Because although he was sick, my husband was still vertical for part of the day on Thanksgiving.  


And we love each other!

6 comments:

  1. Precious! I love seeing a photo of you two. Your blog is very enjoyable to me. I wish you a Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Polly, I'm a longtime reader but have never commented. I admire your faith and hope in this time of trials. I will be praying for a clean PET scan for your husband. --Alyssa

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoy your blog and reading about your family. I will pray for your husband's health and your family. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd love to see your porch.
    I miss the days of Lego cities but maybe there will be more. We have a grandson now.
    I hope the better patch has continued for your husband and that there is good news for you on the 27th.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a bit concerned as you haven't posted anything for quite awhile!! Think about all of you often!! Jill

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just learned about you, and your blog, through my daughter, Sarah - a long term reader of yours. Touched to read your posts, and blessed to read your perspective on life.

    ReplyDelete