Monday, September 30, 2019

Be Joyful and Consider

"In the day of prosperity be joyful, and in the day of adversity consider: God has made the one as well as the other, so that man may not find out anything that will be after him."

--Ecclesiastes 7:14 (ESV)

God has made the one as well as the other.

I am thinking about this verse lately.  My husband just celebrated one year in remission, one year since he finished his grueling, brutal radiation treatments and we moved home. So of course we were joyful about that; I was downright ebullient! 

There have also been Hard Things this month. I'm a little glad to see September wrapping up, simply because although it is often my favorite month, and it's my birthday month, this one was tough.  Some of the things were piddly,minor headaches and not worth mentioning.  Some have been larger but I also won't mention them (except to say that last week in an MRI I found out I have an allergy to gadolinium; let's just say it's not fun to find that out.....and that I'm so glad our car insurance pays for 100% of the damage from hitting a deer....) And one thing is very large but simply cannot be mentioned at all at this time.  I'm not meaning to be mysterious; it's just that sometimes it's not my story to tell.

 I am seriously praying that October will be easier, that somehow I'll have the wisdom to navigate the must-dos and let go of everything else, and that God will grant us grace and health (I have two sick children right now!) and wisdom.

In the midst of it I've been trying to sew a little.  Trying to read here and there. Trying to get enough rest.  Trying to eat (thanks to a stomach bug earlier this month I'm at an all-time low adult weight....I haven't weighed less than this since.....elementary school? I don't know!).  Trying to breathe. Trying to manage my distractions.  Trying to be kind. Trying to remember that I'm not really in a place in life where I can operate like I did 5 years ago. Many things have changed.

Yet again I come face to face with the fact that, for whatever reason, in this season of life things are challenging for me, and I need to keep things streamlined and simple.  And I need to rest. 

God has made the one as well as the other

And so I will take each day as it comes, and give thanks and gratitude for the lessons we learn along the way. 

And most of all, huge thanks for this: one year of remission.  One down.  Four to go. Praise be to God!

1 comment:

  1. I wish you God's support and many blessings. May life become easier soon.

    ReplyDelete