Saturday, February 15, 2020

Reading Goals

I don't have too many "goals" for the new year, although I have a purpose: to try to live slowly (even when life feels so fast!).  In the past, I've not really made a big list of books I want to read--but this week, catching up on blog reading while sick, I was inspired by Sarah's post with her ambitious list. I thought--why don't I make an ambitious list, too? And of course, variations and deviations are expected, but---as Sarah points out--it's a guide!

I went downstairs to our schoolroom, where most of the books live, and jotted down some titles that jumped out at me.  I started with books we have here, on hand, plus a few of Sara's recommendations.  I tried to focus on fiction since that is my area of weakness; I tend to read a lot of nonfiction, but not fiction--although I love fiction books. I think I do this because I can dip in and out of nonfiction more easily, but with some self-control, perhaps I can do the same thing with fiction.  :) 

So here's my list--and I may add to it over the coming year--(update: I did add to it! Here's the additional list.)

Fiction

Wuthering Heights (Bronte) (I am a huge fan of the spooky kind of romance of Jane Eyre, so I think I'll also like Charlotte's sister's book. I almost feel I've read it before, but I'm pretty sure I haven't. At the same time, I have had this experience before: thinking I haven't read a book, and then realizing halfway through when scenes come back to me that yes, in fact, I have.....)

Peace Like a River (Leif Enger) (I read part of this book a few years ago and never finished it!! which I shall remedy now)

The Brothers Karamazov (Dostoevsky)(This was inspired by Sarah, who said she just loved it, and I love Dostoevsky, so....)

Les Miserables (Victor Hugo)(a gift at my wedding shower from a friend--it was a book wedding shower, long story--which I've never read, but I've seen the play!)

The Girl with the Pearl Earring (which my mother-in-law loaned me a few years ago and I still haven't read....)

A Gentleman in Moscow (Amor Towles) (Thanks, Sarah!)

The Little Prince (a classic! to read again, perhaps with Finn)

In This House of Brede (Rumer Godden) (another Sarah recommendation)

Jayber Crow (Wendell Berry) (because I love Hannah Coulter!)

Galileo's Daughter (Sobel)(my Dad gave this to me years ago and I never read it)

Daddy Long Legs (a book I read in high school and loved)

All the Light We Cannot See (Anthony Doerr)(my best friend Allison highly recommends this one!)

Persuasion (Jane Austen)

Drama

The Importance of Being Earnest (Oscar Wilde) (I read it in college; time to read again)

Of course, Shakespeare: I'm reading Coriolanus now and hope to see 2-3 plays in person (undecided as to which ones yet), and then I get to read another play in the fall!

Nonfiction

Seasons at Eagle Pond (Donald Hall)

The Death of Adam (Marilynne Robinson)

Bulfinch's Greek and Roman Mythology (Finn is really into Greek mythology right now due to Percy Jackson books, and this would be an interesting add-on for me; I studied a lot of it during my four years of Latin in high school, but it has been years.  As  a Christian, we are finding it pretty fascinating to read the Greek and Roman myths and discuss them!)

Mere Christianity (CS Lewis)

The Creative Habit (Twyla Tharp; a re-read) 

Splendor in the Ordinary

The Life-Giving Home (Sally Clarkson)(maybe) 

I want to read A Severe Mercy, but I need to wait until we're further along in the remission process.  My heart is still too tender for this now. 

With one or both of my children--not counting their school books:

Anne of Green Gables, per Annie's request!

Little Women

The Narnia books (they've read them once already, we are on Prince Caspian now, working our way through again)

The Golden Goblet (set in ancient Egypt--our current nighttime read-aloud)

Nory Ryan's Song

Sarah, Plain and Tall 

The Little House books--we read through at lunch

The Witch of Blackbird Pond

Door in the Wall

Carry On, Mr. Bowditch

My Side of the Mountain


....I don't know how many of these I'll read, or how many new ones will be added, but it's fun to have a loose framework for the coming year!

2 comments:

  1. Yay! I love your book list! Caiden really liked Galileo's Daughter, but I keep forgetting I want to read it. And I LOVED Jayber Crow--my second favorite Berry! Les Mis was of course excellent, although he takes a very long time to tell you ALL about Parisian sewers, and I wanted to poke my eyes out. I have A Severe Mercy and haven't read it yet; and I've never heard of Robinson's book you mention here, so I'm adding those to my pile! So many books to read . . . too bad I can't just abdicate all my responsibilities and do nothing but read; I really think I could do nothing but read, if allowed! (Let me know what you think of the ones I recommended!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Polly,
    I consider myself in good company because I created a reading list too this year. And I actually recorded it which makes it ever so much more official! We share a few of the same books on our lists. I am reading your posts and have tried to post several times without any success. Maybe this time...

    ReplyDelete