Saturday, March 14, 2020

Pantry-ish Menus for Days of Isolation

God remains sovereign, even in the midst of pandemics.  

Here are the dinner meals I have planned for a couple of weeks as I prepare to hunker down at home (mostly) with my family--they are meals that I can make with ingredients I have on hand in the pantry, fridge, or freezer, which keep well for a longer period of time:

*red lentil soup & biscuits

*spinach quiche, roasted carrots, & bread (homemade crust; eggs from our chickens)

*16-bean and ham soup and homemade rolls

*black bean soup and cornbread 

*salmon burgers (from canned salmon), fresh or frozen broccoli, roasted sweet potatoes

*tex-mex cavatappi (beef + cheese + cilantro + salsa + pasta)

*spinach squares (a sort of egg/flour/spinach combo) and homemade rolls or roasted carrots and cauliflower

*chicken enchiladas (from frozen chicken)

*homemade pizza 

*tilapia, roasted potatoes, and steamed or frozen broccoli

*cuban black beans and rice; veggies 

*chili with cornbread; salads 


For breakfast I generally eat either eggs with veggies or Greek yogurt.  I'll make buckwheat pancakes, waffles, or baked oatmeal for my children. For lunch I always eat a salad and will continue to do so as long as I have access to fresh vegetables; my children will have leftovers from dinner, grilled cheese or PB&J sandwiches, homemade pizza, spinach squares, or quiche. And I always try to give them fruit at lunch. My husband usually has leftovers for lunch. 

Keeping certain things on hand is helpful: rice, dried beans of various types, chicken stock, salsa, flour, salmon, and tuna in the pantry; in the freezer, it's nice to have chicken, sausage, or beef (I only have a little chicken and a tiny bit of beef, but will try to acquire a little more beef from my cousin tomorrow); in the fridge, I like to have yogurt, milk, butter, cheese, carrots, some other fresh veggies and fruits (spinach, broccoli, and cauliflower usually keep well), and eggs.  

I am not hoarding food, and I absolutely refuse to "buy out" what the stores have, because I think that removes foods and supplies from other people who may need it just as much or more than I do. I'm just planning ahead to stay home from the shops for a couple of weeks--but not more than that.

 I trust that all shall be well, and that this too shall pass!

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you concerning the hoarding. If we all had the same mindset then the shelves would not be empty!
    I liked perusing your food menus. I rather much cook those foods anyway, so it makes times like these work if those staples are in your pantry and freezer. But I am thinking about eggs which it seems I will run out of...how I miss my flock of hens from years gone by when we lived on the farm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are stretching groceries too. These are great ideas!

    ReplyDelete