Monday, April 6, 2020

Let's Talk about Homemade Pizza

Now that we have more time at home, I'm enjoying a lot more baking.  I already bake--but now I really bake!

Also, pizza is a great food if you need to cook from your pantry.  Crust is easy to make.  Pizza sauce can be made in bulk (here's the recipe I've used in the past) or purchased in a jar, and live in the pantry or freezer for weeks or months.  Same thing with cured meat, like pepperoni.  I like my pizza with more vegetables than anything else--and last week I made one with the first shoots of asparagus from our garden.  Cheese will usually keep for a long time in the fridge (fresh mozzarella is an exception, and of course, it's delicious!). 

Pizza crust used to annoy me. I've tried many recipes over the years and none of them have really made me particularly happy.  But they were sufficient.  For weeks my children have pestered me to get "Miss Naomi's" recipe--she's our neighbor--because they ate pizza at her house once that was apparently wonderful.  I finally got it!


She told me the secret to the crust is pounding the dough.  For real: actually pounding it for ten solid minutes. This apparently activates the gluten, which is apparently what you want. (Who knew?)  I will say that the first time I made this, I was impressed at how well the dough behaved once I began to roll it out. I am able to toss it without ever having it tear or rip, which is more than I can say for any other pizza crust recipe I've tried. 

She uses bread flour, but I recently purchased a means of grinding my own wheat, so I am making this with freshly-milled wheat flour.  I am able to eat that without a spike in my blood sugar (I have a touch of hypoglycemia and generally avoid all bread except sprouted grain because of it).  Hooray!

Naomi's recipe also makes "one 16-inch crust."  However, we decided this makes a crust that it too thick for our tastes.  I love a very thin, crispy crust.  So I divide this and make two 16-inch crusts out of it, and that works better for me.  


{This is the thicker version.}

My children like their pizza with pepperoni and spinach!


I like my pizza with lots of vegetables--whatever I have on hand.  This one had spinach, asparagus, peppers, and sundried tomatoes. 


So here's the recipe for 1 thicker 16" crust or 2 thinner 16" crusts:

1 T. yeast
1 1/2 T. sugar
1 1/3 c. hot water
1 1/2 T oil 

Mix together and let sit for 5 minutes (while it's sitting, I grind my wheat).

Then add: 
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. italian seasoning 
1/4 tsp. basil
3 1/4- 3 1/2 cups bread flour (or freshly-milled wheat flour!)

Dough should be a tiny bit sticky.  Grease hands with a little soft butter, then pound with both fists for 10 minutes.  Place dough in a butter-greased bowl, cover, and let rise for an hour.

When preparing pizza pan, spray with baking spray, then spread with 2 T. oil.  Sprinkle a little corn meal if you wish.  Place dough on pan and spread to edges. [Polly's note: I roll it out with my rolling pin, then toss to get it evenly thin.]  Put on toppings [note: I like to use about 1/2 cup of sauce per pizza] and bake at 425 until crust is browned. [She says 12-15 minutes; in my oven, it's a scant 8.]

A few more notes:

I would like to get a pizza stone. I'm hoping that will crisp the crust up even more (we really like a crispy crust!)

Naomi also told me you can brush melted butter along the edge of the crust before baking to give it a nice extra flavor. 

 {Tip: cut with scissors!}

Making good food for my family is a comforting exercise these days!

Hope everyone is staying healthy and well. Happy pizza baking!

1 comment:

  1. Yum... I wonder if we have the ingredients for this. 😄

    ReplyDelete