Saturday, August 15, 2020

Grandma's Needlepoint

This needlepoint hung in my grandparents' dark wood-paneled family room beside the back door (the one we always entered) for as long as I can remember. I have loved it for a long time.

After my grandparents died, I naturally assumed someone would claim it.  But no one ever did.  Finally, I was up at the house (it's on the hill above my house, on the same family farm) not too long ago and I asked my aunt about it.  She and my uncle purchased the house from the trust my grandparents had left, so they were mostly in charge of clearing things out before they move in (from their house, which is the original farmhouse on the property where my grandmother grew up--is anyone confused yet?! ha!). 

She shrugged.  "Take it!" she said.


So I did. 

And now it hangs beside our "back door," where we come and in and out of the house, above the dresser that holds my sunglasses and keys, in the blue laundry-and-sewing room which serves as our casual family entryway.  I love the colors--they look so pretty with the walls!--and the familial sentiment.  It makes me so happy to see it hanging here, greeting me when I come home, and watching over me when I'm folding laundry or sewing, and reminding me always of the importance of love in our family life. 


4 comments:

  1. Oh, this is so special, Polly! I'm sure it gives you great joy. I love old, meaningful things like this that are part of our history. This is not just a random needlepoint bought at a shop somewhere. It is part of your history, of who you are, and of the people who helped shape you. I'm glad it's yours. I have some really special grandma and grandpa things in my house, too, (just one or two things representing each person) that are comforting and settling to me and remind me of sweet memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Settling" is a nice word for it--you're right! Very settling indeed.

      Delete
  2. A treasure. Do you know if your grandmother embroidered it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I'm so fortunate to have several things both of my grandmothers made.

      Delete