Wednesday, February 24, 2021

On Cultivating Beauty

 "Though I love pretty things and special touches (small as the honey scent of a beeswax candle, large as the curvy porcelain legs of a porcelain sink), like the rest of the world, I have tended to view such things as unnecessary extras.  They are indulgences.  They are not strictly necessary and should be doled out with caution, like special treats.  Surely only an incurable romantic would choose old wooden windows over modern vinyl.  But what if beauty is one of the greatest gifts I give my neighbors and my guests? What if my own choices give others the permission they need to forgo the plastic jug, to light the special candle, to sit quietly in the afternoon with milky tea in a bone china cup? I believe beauty reflects the truth about who God is and what this world is all about.  What could be more important than cultivating beauty in little ways and large, however I am able?"

-Christie Purifoy, Placemaker



No comments:

Post a Comment