Monday, September 5, 2022

Lovely Lights

 One of the tasks we wanted to accomplish in Charleston this time was to change all the hard-to-reach lightbulbs in the house.  Lots of ceiling fixtures around here! So on our first day, my husband walked around the house with a ladder and took care of them all, and I was his assistant, which meant I handled the little bits and pieces, and then cleaned each fixture off before we replaced it. 

The whole time I was marveling at these light fixtures!  My great-grandmother, Nanny, chose them all around 1950, when she was about 58 years old.  She was born in 1892 and was, in my father's words, "a true Victorian."  She wore only skirts her entire life, and was devoted to her pearls and white gloves. 

So much white, cut glass, and etching.....


...this is only a tiny sampling.


I enjoy their propriety, their timelessness, their quiet femininity.  Very much like Nanny herself!


No comments:

Post a Comment