Saturday, January 21, 2023

Annie Gets a Party

Annie turned 12 earlier this month, and one thing she asked for this year was a party.  A Real Party. 

Given the fact that for the past three years we've not been able to have friends over on her birthday, either because of covid, or me having covid, or generalized illness, I thought it would be a nice thing to do, to celebrate this last year of pre-teenagerhood.

So today after ballet company rehearsals my husband and I are transporting nine girls home, with four others to be dropped off at our house a bit later, for Annie's Twelfth Birthday Party.  We've got cupcakes, chocolate chip oatmeal cookies, vegetables and dip, fruit, party games, a craft, and a dance playlist (many thanks to our niece, who took time out of her busy first year of law school exam time to send a plethora of good "dance party" suggestions that I used when I was choosing songs). My sister gave Annie a tabletop disco ball for Christmas, along with glow-stick necklaces.  Annie will be wearing her blue silk dress--you know, the one I bought at the secondhand store, tags still on, for $5 about 5 years ago?  The pizza will be delivered around 5pm.  People are excited.  (Is it wrong to say that I'm excited that tonight I will be done hostessing?  Because I'm excited about that!)

Annie is a pleasure to parent and it's a privilege to celebrate her.  She's my right-hand girl: reliable, kind, intuitive, thoughtful, and generous.  We understand each other on what feels like a mitochondrial level.  She has made countless sacrifices over the past year, with my Dad's illness, and she doesn't complain about it. She's so unselfish and unspoiled that it's a delight to spoil her just a little bit now.  She loves friends, and beautiful things, and cupcakes, and I'm thankful to provide those things for her today. 

A dozen years with my little girl.  I know you hear this all the time, but mothers will little ones: don't blink.  It truly flies.  And it's beautiful and bittersweet. 

{I make it a rule not to post pictures of my children, but this one is acceptable: Annie practicing piano recently in a straw hat. So sweet!}

Happy next year of life, Annie, and happy party day!

1 comment: