Tuesday, February 28, 2023

100 Years

 My great aunt turned 100 in mid-February, following in the footsteps of her mother (my great-grandmother, otherwise known as "Nanny") and her own aunt (otherwise known as Pauline, who lived to be--I believe--105), and another aunt, who lived to be very close to 100, I believe. Those are long-lasting genes. 

Her birthday party was in her home city, three hours away.  I took a solo road trip down for the day to celebrate at her favorite Italian restaurant, braving the traffic in that city of roughly a million people. I used the express lane once I got to the city and still sat in traffic for an hour (car accident!), but even though I left at 5pm--very scary!--I flew out of town with no problems at all. I got to see my Alabama second and third cousins--I hadn't seen them in years  (Mobile is far away, y'all!) and meet the next generation of little cousins--adorable! My aunt Mary is just amazing for being 100 years old--and she seemed to enjoy her party very much. It is astonishing to think of all the changes she has seen occur during her lifetime. Driving back home into the mountains I listened to my Dad's favorite country/bluegrass album, one of those collections that I heard over and over and over again when I was a child (I recommend!).  It was a really, really sweet day.

Because there were too many bouquets leftover, her children sent me home with this beautiful arrangement, which we've been enjoying ever since. I have to toss it out today, but it has made me realize I miss having fresh flowers around!  I used to have them all the time, but as life has gotten busier, that's one thing that has slipped through the cracks. No more!

Happy birthday, great-aunt Mary.  

No comments:

Post a Comment