Friday, October 27, 2023

Pink Things in Quebec City

 The first of a series of snippets from Quebec... 

It's a beautiful city. I was driving when we arrived. As we snaked our way through the city and found our way (miraculously! my husband is such a great co-pilot; we didn't have GPS helping us!) to the older section, we passed Parliament, and when we took a left and passed under the Porte Saint-Louis, I literally gasped, I could not believe what I saw.  It was all so quaint, so French! It was love at first sight. More photos of all that soon. 

These enormous pink hydrangea were everywhere in Canada, and in many places in the northeastern US as well.  I love them! I need to figure out what they are, although I suspect they're a cold weather variety that may not fare well in my climate. 

Loved the stone walls with colorfully painted trim.  Quebec City has a fascinating history.  The first thing we did the morning after we arrived was go on a two-hour walking tour, and I'm so glad I chose to do that, because it oriented us into the city and its history so well!


Street artists line the Rue Sainte-Anne. I stopped to watch them work every day.  The things these men could do in oil pastels, in an hour, amazed me.  It was mesmerizing!  


Not really pink, but orangey-pink: one evening we walked back into our room, shut the door, and heard a sound.  We walked to the balcony and opened the door, and behold!  Fireworks!  Turns out, the city puts on a massive twenty-minute fireworks display twice a week during the summer. We watched the show from our balcony--and it was a gift. 

More Quebec City photos soon! 

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful! As a Canadian, I love to hear of the beauty of parts of our country. Yes, those hydrangeas are gorgeous! Are you going to the Maritimes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We thought Canada was beautiful! We didn't go to the Maritimes, but maybe one day we will be able to do that! I'd like to see PEI. ;)

      Delete