Thursday, November 6, 2014

Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Winter Dinners

Comfort food doesn't have to be mac-and-cheese. For the dairy-free, gluten-free, or both, I submit this non-comprehensive list of dishes we all like: 

*black bean soup, cornbread, green salad (the adults eat salad; the children ignore it)--my children eat black bean soup by the gallon, it seems
*enchilada casserole with green sauce, refried beans, salad or steamed broccoli 
*salmon burgers, roasted sweet potatoes, roasted brussels sprouts/steamed broccoli 
*southwestern chicken soup, cornbread, salad
*fish pie (an unfortunate name for a delicious warming dish), roasted cauliflower (see also: shepherd's pie, which is quite similar) 
*butternut squash-sausage over rice, kale chips
*chicken pot pie, kale or broccoli 
*polenta pizza topped with assorted roasted vegetables--you can add bacon if you want, or sausage
*red lentil-coconut-carrot-curried soup (a family favorite) with green veggies on the side, and maybe fresh (gluten-free) bread or biscuits 

Tonight I made a version of the enchiladas--simple and so delicious, just layers of salsa, corn chips, spinach, ground beef/spicy bechamel sauce (with onions, cumin, garlic, peppers), and green enchilada sauce. 

I personally adore making vegan or vegetarian meals--I'm talking lentil loaf, stir-fried tofu, Indian dhal, the works--as a former vegetarian, these are my favorites!!--but my children frequently reject these meals.  I try one every couple of weeks, though, just to keep their horizons broadened!

No comments:

Post a Comment