Wednesday, November 5, 2014

My Life's Cornerstone

Here is a painting of our church.  I have been attending this church since we moved to the country when I was 8 years old.  We've had the same pastor the entire time--he officiated our wedding, he performed my mother's funeral, he baptized both of our children, and he sang gorgeous solos each time to commemorate the occasion.  


Attending this church was a happy accident. The story is that we'd just moved to the area and one day the pastor showed up at our door in his bib overalls with a church bulletin in his back pocket and mentioned something about needing a new Sunday school teacher.  The rest, as they say, is history.  Of course, many believers believe there's no such thing as coincidence.

My mother always said that this church reminded her of the song "Little Mountain Church House" as performed by Ricky Skaggs on the excellent "Will the Circle Be Unbroken II" album--which was a fixture of my childhood.  I know all the words to all the songs. 

I am so grateful for this little mountain church house as an instrument of nourishment and comfort for me over the years!

No comments:

Post a Comment