Monday, November 30, 2015

Rainy Monday Chili

We had a dreary day of rain + cold, which was fine when we were cozy inside near the Christmas tree, but wasn't so nice during the grocery store run.  We got home shortly after 5:00, cold and damp, and I knew that chili was the only answer for dinner.  

Here's my Rainy Monday Chili technique:

*In a large soup pot, saute one well-chopped onion in some olive oil 
*add 2 lbs. ground meat of your choice (we used turkey tonight) and let it brown
*throw some chili powder in with it...anywhere from 1/4 c. to 1/2 c....I find that I like turkey with lots of chili powder, but beef doesn't need as much
*then add a couple of chopped zucchini (or diced eggplant....or carrots, if you want....or diced red pepper....) and saute a few more minutes
*add 1 large can of crushed tomatoes and 1-2 cans of chickpeas (you could use other beans, but chickpeas are the only legumes my husband can digest without suffering from severe heartburn! And I love them in chili!)

Simmer for as long as you like, until the vegetables are soft and everything is tasty. 

I like mine with some shredded mozzarella and a few long dashes of crazy salt. 

Tonight before bed during our family "thankful for" time, Annie said she was thankful for "a cozy supper."  Indeed!!

No comments:

Post a Comment