Thursday, April 6, 2017

Grandma's Necklaces, and a Revised Post on Parenting

Back in January I was visiting my grandfather and he encouraged me to go into my grandmother's closet and see if there's anything I wanted. I've done this before, but this time I noticed her costume necklaces. 

First of all: this woman didn't do Pinterest, but look how cleverly she rigged this coat hanger up to keep the necklaces separate.  She often created clever, inexpensive little "fixes" for problems like this.  I have always admired that quality!


Second, as I examined these sweet little necklaces I realized I had ten of them.  And there are five great-granddaughters in the family.  Viola!  I took them home, and last month I wrapped them up and sent them to each great-granddaughter.  Annie helped me pick who gets what.  She's the oldest of the great-granddaughters; the other girls are 6, 5, 4, and 1.  It was fun for us to choose the necklaces, then wrap them carefully in tissue paper and send them to their new homes.  They have no monetary value--their value is only sentimental.  But perhaps the little girls will enjoy having a few "fancy" necklaces from the lady I love so much.  

*           *           * 

Also, I revised a post I wrote ages ago on parenting.  We learn as we go, don't we?  And my revisions reflect that, I think. My tone was too didactic.  And honestly, I think I was wrong about a couple of things. The basic ideas are the same, but this reflects my shifted perspective.  For the revised post, look here.  

No comments:

Post a Comment