Saturday, April 15, 2017

Lemon Sponge Roll

(Inspired by watching an episode of the Great British Baking Show back at the end of my flu week last month.....)

Incarnation Number One:

A sponge cake (a la The Joy of Cooking) spread with a thin layer of store-bought lemon curd and a thicker layer of sweetened whipped cream, then rolled up and sprinkled with powdered sugar. 




Too sweet for me, but a good first attempt. I'm shocked that the cake didn't just fall apart when I rolled it up! 

Incarnation Number Two (just completed, for Easter dinner tomorrow): 

The same sponge cake recipe, spread with a homemade lemon filling (also a la The Joy of Cooking) and sweetened whipped cream, then rolled up and sprinkled with powdered sugar.  It will be served alongside a few sprigs of mint, I think. 

The jury is still out and won't be in until tomorrow afternoon, but so far I think Incarnation Number Two wins.  The homemade lemon filling is creamier, more tart, and more luscious than the sad jar of boughten curd.  

I'm also taking asparagus tart to Easter dinner tomorrow, but I'm using gruyere and parmesan to up the ante a bit.  It's Easter, after all! 

No comments:

Post a Comment