Thursday, April 13, 2017

Three-Oat Baked Oatmeal (Vegan, Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free)

Baked oatmeal is a breakfast staple in our house.  I was introduced to baked oatmeal by my friend Allison, and I have tweaked and changed her recipe over the years to suit our tastes and dietary requirements.  I drastically cut the sugar, use several types of oats, used a different spice mixture, replaced the eggs with flax meal, and substituted almond milk for regular milk. It's flexible. I also grease the pan and mix everything up right there in it, because I don't want to fiddle around with dishes early in the morning.

Grease a baking dish--I typically use something that is about 9x9.  Preheat oven to 350.

In the dish, combine 2 T. flaxmeal with 6 T. water.  Then add 1.5 cups milk (I use almond) and 1/4 c. oil (I use olive).  Whisk.  Add a scant 1/2 c. of sugar (I use sucanat, and generally am several tablespoons shy of a half-cup).  Whisk again, then add 2 T. baking powder, a dash of salt, and at least 2 T. pumpkin pie spice blend (cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, etc.). Whisk very well, then add a total of 3 c. oats.  You can use all old-fashioned or all quick, but I typically do 1.5 cups old-fashioned, 1 c. quick, and 1/2 cup of steel cut . (If you're gluten-free, use gluten-free oats--obviously!) Stir well and then bake until done.  My oven runs very hot and fast, so it takes about 15 minutes, just long enough for me to run through the shower.  I imagine it takes longer in normal ovens. 

My children eat these oats topped with peanut butter and, yes, mini chocolate chips.  On the rare occasion that I eat them, I like a bit of almond butter and a dollop of Greek yogurt.  You can slice fruit on top, too. They're quite nice with blueberries, sliced almonds, and yogurt!

No comments:

Post a Comment