Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Three Reasons to Celebrate

First, my enormous mulching project is done! I don't know how many square feet of flower beds I have to mulch, but it's A Lot.  What's time consuming is the weed-pulling, the plant dividing and transplanting, the planting of new plants...and did I mention the wire grass? I've been steady at it for a couple of hours a day for several weeks. 

Done.

Second, we had 15 minutes at the thrift store today and I walked out with two milk glass lamps, a cashmere sweater, a huge milk glass footed bowl, and the piece de resistance--a vintage handbag, navy blue, in buttery Italian leather, in pristine condition.  I spent $16 on all of it!  And each item filled a need I had specifically thought of over the last week. Thrift stores are a blessing. 

Finally, last night in the shower I heard something fall and immediately realized my pearl earring had dropped.  I put my foot over the drain, turned off the water, threw on my bathrobe, and called my husband...but to no avail.  The earring was gone.  I was sad, because not only do I love my pearl earrings, they were a gift to me for my high school graduation from my beloved Grandma Polly

But I still said a prayer, because things are wont to turn up in my life. My husband's wedding ring, which he lost in the yard?  Turned up the next year in the tomato patch.  My diamond and sapphire ring, which I thought I'd lost in the yard? Turned up *in the sofa!*  My beautiful gold earrings which were a very costly gift from my father many years ago?  Turned up in my sister's jewelry box!!! My husband had forbidden anyone from using the shower until he could get home and look more closely at the situation after work today.

I was on the last few square feet of weed removal this evening when Annie came outside with a smile on her face.  You married a genius, she said, and held out her hand.  My earring!  My husband had gotten the shop vac out and 10 seconds later it was in hand. 

 "I kind of wished it had been more of a challenge," he said wistfully.  Only an engineer would say that!

2 comments:

  1. I'm so happy to hear that you are finished with your mulching project. Those long jobs can be so tiring, but how wonderful to see it finished. Your thrift store finds sound lovely, and thank goodness that your earring was saved!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy for you! My husband is always thinking up the best things to retrieve things I thought were irretrievable. And congrats on finishing the mulching; I have come to the realization this year that if I want a nice garden I will have to chip away at it every day, which is going well.

    ReplyDelete