Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Birthday Bouquet

My stepmother sends me flowers every year for my birthday.  It's the sweetest gesture!  On the rare occasion that she's with us for Easter, she also purchases corsages for all the ladies in the family to wear to church on Easter morning. 

This year it was autumnal--perfect for late September in these mountains.


In other news, Finn is furiously learning new songs for his Christmas recital. He has chosen Tchaikovsy's "Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairies" (as a duet with his teacher; he asked me, but I declined, being a little overrun with my own musical endeavors) and today he decided on "Carol of the Bells", which is actually sort of difficult in spite of its repetitive theme. He's in his fourth year of piano and he sight-reads better than I do.  He also practices with diligence and plays with confidence.

As for me?  My violin teacher informed me that my recital is December 10th. I can't stop laughing at this vision: half a dozen darling children in their Christmas finery, playing the violin beautifully, and then one old lady squeaking out the most basic song.  My husband, so impressed with my abilities (note: he doesn't play any instruments), recruited me to play as an opening to our Christmas program this year at church.  I declined.  A little kid eking out a simple song is cute, but an adult doing the same thing?  Awkward!

Nevertheless, I continue to love the violin with a passion unspeakable.  It's so hard.  

And so fun.


1 comment:

  1. I really admire you for learning to play the violin. It's something I've wanted to take up as an adult too.

    ReplyDelete