Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Frugal Accomplishments

Do you read The Prudent Homemaker website or blog? I love it.  So many inspiring ideas for saving money and doing it all very prettily.  I have read her for a long time and hope she never stops writing.

Given that we're in a Spending Season right now, where property taxes, insurance payments, winter travel, and Christmas converge, I am focusing on little things I can do to save money, so I thought I'd join with Brandy's weekly "Frugal Accomplishments" this week. Here are the frugal things I did last week......

*I created a comprehensive list of all the Christmas gifts I want to make. (Ideally I would have done this in September, but we have been so busy with school that I simply did not take the time.  We took this past week off so that I could breathe.)  I'm making every item with fabrics and supplies I already have on hand, which is frugal indeed.  Honestly, my fabric chest overfloweth, and I need to sew through it.

*I shopped at Sam's and Aldi.  (If you keep track of unit prices, you can find some great deals at these stores.)  I was stocking up for Christmas baking.

*One night I made pizza instead of getting takeout pizza.

*I made a batch of granola (my first from a new recipe). My husband *loves* it and asked for me to make it for him as part of his Christmas present.

*I made a batch of natural deodorant.

*I cut my son's hair. He asked for me to trim his bangs, but then I got carried away and trimmed everything!

*We took a plate of homemade gingerbread to our neighbor as a thank-you for looking after our outdoor animals while we were out of town earlier in the month.

*I found an item that I wanted, and had priced on Amazon at $30, at the thrift store for $3.99!

*I bought fabric to use to make a zippered tote bag for Finn for Christmas.  It was $1 at the thrift store (a Martha Stewart curtain, I think). I'll also have enough of it leftover to make a pillow or two for my sister's apartment....it contains the exact colors she wants to use in her living room.

*Harvested and dried sage, rosemary, and lavender.

*I made a batch of laundry soap.

*My neighbor was selling her outdoor sofa.  It is this brand.  She sold it to me for $75!  It is six feet long and very, very comfortable. I don't like the color of the cushions, so I will probably re-cover them using fabric I already have....probably a project for later in the winter. :)

*We accepted multiple herb plants from my neighbor: rosemary, lavender, and German thyme. I planted them yesterday, and I hope they'll survive the winter.

*On Saturday I did some Christmas shopping.  My sister wanted a few more bowls, plates, and mugs. I found some in her exact color scheme (teal/yellow) at my favorite thrift store for.....$2!! (Total.)

*I visited the usually-overpriced-antiques mall and found a beautiful mirror that is perfect for my little sewing/laundry room. I've been trying to find something to hang above the vintage sink since we finished our basement four years ago.  The mirror was $15 (!).

*I accepted three large planters from my neighbor, who was getting rid of them for free. One of them is an urn-style and they'll all look great on our new patio/deck.  I am so grateful for my generous neighbor. 

Happy Thanksgiving! I spent all morning today cooking, then practiced violin, then spent more time procuring food, then cooking some more, then church.....sometime I really do need to start sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment