Tuesday, December 19, 2017

In Which the Landscape Changes

I've lived on the edge of this valley long enough to know that the landscape changes rapidly.  The sun's movement, shifting shadows, weather changes, and even the location of the cattle and wildlife all change constantly. It's so beautiful all the time.


Like life?

A week ago my biggest concern was baking Christmas cookies and getting the gifts wrapped.  But the landscape changed.  Yesterday my husband was diagnosed with squamous cell carcinoma on his tongue.  We await a PET scan to determine whether there has been any spread, although at this point his doctor doubts it. He'll have surgery to remove the cancer in mid-January (and possibly surgery to remove some lymph nodes; we're not sure).  No chemotherapy, thank the Lord.  Possibly radiation, but it seems unlikely at this point--again, thank the Lord.

The ENT told us that the pathology for the tumor came back negative for a viral infection (no surprise there), and my husband doesn't have the other major risk factors--he's never smoked, and he has never had a drink of alcohol in his life.  His doctor said he sees only two or so cases a year where the cancer is not linked to a virus (usually HPV), alcohol, or tobacco.  

As soon as he walked out of the doctor's office he was vegan and sugar-free, so I'm sitting with coffee and a stack of cookbooks, trying to plan out a beautiful Christmas feast for him.  Because he said he will not be eating our usual fare.  "I'll just take a stir-fry or something," he shrugged.  But I'm going to make some treats for him! I'm joining him in solidarity, too.  


It seems unreal that a 42 year old man who exercises and wins races and has never smoked or had a drink in his life and eats his veggies and doesn't even drink *coffee* could turn up with cancer.  We're shocked.  

But there's a plan, I'm sure of it, and I believe that God is creating something bigger out of this for us, that something good will come out of it.  In the meantime, while we wait for more tests, for surgery, and for results, I'm rallying for prayers, chopping vegetables, and thanking God for early detection!

4 comments:

  1. Oh, Polly, what a hard thing! I know you'll get through it with grace, but that doesn't make it any easier right now.

    I just wanted to reach out because I unexpectedly went vegan (and dragged my family along with me) three years ago. It cured my arthritis, and I will never go back. The book The China Study was a major factor in my decision, and it is mainly a study on how animal protein affects cancer growth. I'm so impressed that your doctor was able to recommend a vegan diet, because many doctors don't seem to know or care about diet!

    Please reach out to me (mrs dot mordecai at gmail dot com) if you have questions about vegan cooking or if you need recipe ideas. It was hard for me to adjust and re-learn how to cook the first few months. And holidays are the hardest, because our traditions are so ingrained in us.

    Also, here is a link to a blog where I collect recipes we have tried and liked. It's not meant for public consumption, but you're more than welcome to take a peek if you think it will help you.
    http://mymostlyplantbasedrecipebox.blogspot.com/

    And here is my Pinterest board of dinner ideas. I will never cook through them all but it's fun to pick out a few every week.
    https://www.pinterest.com/mrsmordecai/plant-based-dinner/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dianna, thank you so much for these resources! The doctor didn't mention diet, but since we've been vegan and sugar free off and on for years, we knew immediately that we'd make this switch right away. I was vegetarian before we were married and my husband has been a strict vegan during his race training seasons for years...now we're upping the ante even more with whole foods and no sugar. So this shouldn't be a bad adjustment....but it will still be an adjustment. ;) But I always love new meal ideas....I was going through my four vegan cookbooks this morning to get re-inspired. I will be happy to check out your resources ...we appreciate all the help we can get! Especially because I want to make things that will be tasty and diverse. Thanks so much!!!

      Delete
  2. Polly,
    I'm so sorry to hear of this cancer diagnosis! I'm sure you're aware that cancer is a degenerative disease, and as such can be cured if you provide your body with the right nutrition and supplements to fight it. I know many people who have totally cured themselves of cancer by going that route instead of surgery, chemo, and radiation. It's worth checking out just to see if it's something that could be an option for you. Here's a blog address where she writes of her husbands throat cancer and how God healed him thru diet, supplements and prayer...look on her sidebar under cancer to see the article. Love and Prayers, Linn
    https://grandmageri422.me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Linn! We are exploring all the options...and eating LOTS of fresh fruits and veggies!

      Delete