Saturday, May 12, 2018

Easy Hospitality Supper, Key Lime Pie Cheesecake Recipe & A Prayer Request

I'm just wrapping up "peak week" of May in our household.  This month is extremely busy, and this week saw the perfect storm of nearly everything: from the normal (piano, violin, co-op, art, ballet, Bible study) to the less common (haircut, ballet rehearsal, attending a play, houseguests).  

Annie's ballet recital is this afternoon and her costume is enchanting: ice blue over a pinkish-beige, with a pinkish-beige flower in her hair, and blue fairy wings.  She is nervous and excited.  Three-fourths of the grandparents will be in attendance, and I'm about to go pick flowers for her bouquet.  I could have ordered roses from the ballet school, but the coral bells and peonies and lilacs are peppering my flower beds right now! And they're free! 

Tonight we're hosting grandparents after the show, so here's my Easy Hospitality Menu:

*roasted Yukon gold potatoes
*steamed broccoli
*key lime pie cheesecake 

It's simple, healthy (I mean, minus the pie), and easy. This morning I'm prepping the chicken and bacon, cutting the broccoli, and making the pie.  So this evening all I'll need to do is cut and roast the potatoes (easy), steam the broccoli, and cook the chicken!

************************

The key lime pie cheesecake recipe is a standby here and one of my signature desserts, so I'd love to share it:

*Two-Layer Key Lime Pie Cheesecake*

Acquire or make a graham cracker crust. 

Set out an 8-oz package of cream cheese to soften. 

For the baked layer: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Whisk together a can of sweetened condensed milk, 1/2 cup key lime juice (I sometimes just use regular lime juice) and 3 large egg yolks. Pour into the crust and bake until set--about 8-9 minutes in my oven. Let cool.

Once the baked layer is cool, use an electric mixer to beat the cream cheese with 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk  (yes, more of that!), 1/4 cup of lime juice, and a little dash of vanilla. Beat until smooth, then pour over cooled baked layer, and smooth the top.  

Cover and chill until firm--at least four hours or so. If you want, pipe whipped cream around the edges before serving, but I never do it!

*************************

And finally, if you feel led, please join me in praying for my husband.  His routine 3-month checkup with the surgeon on Wednesday revealed some anomaly that may be scar tissue from his surgery in January or it may be a recurrence of cancer. He will go in next Friday the 18th for a PET scan.  We always want to pray that God's will be done, but I'm also praying that God's will is that this is merely scar tissue.  I spent a little while in agony over the "what ifs", which are scary to consider, given this particular type of cancer, and now we're just waiting.  God very clearly gave me this Bible verse on Thursday morning: 

I had fainted, unless I had believed to see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait on the Lord: be of good courage, and He shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the Lord. 
-Psalm 27:13-14

And so we do. 

11 comments:

  1. Polly, I'm praying for his tests to come back with good news! My husband has just been to the dermatologist for his own skin cancer issues, and it's stressful. So as I pray for my husband, I'll pray for yours! And for you, too. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sarah! Keep me posted on Pace! Will say a prayer for y'all. xo

      Delete
  2. Praying!!! Linn
    Philippians 4:6-7

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Linn. YES to these wonderful verses. Such a good reminder to take it all to God.

      Delete
  3. What a comforting verse, Polly. I will keep your husband and family in my prayers. It is nice you are keeping things so bright for your children. Your little girl's costume sounds divine, and the bouquet sounds just like something Anne Shirley would enjoy! Very unique! I love your simple hospitality menu, and that pie is healthy in a way -- there is fruit juice in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think Anne Shirley would approve of the bouquet, too. :) (I'll try to post a picture sometime!) Your comment reminds me of a little statue my grandmother had: two ladies eating a fruit pie and saying "it's just fruit!" ;) Exactly......

      Delete
  4. Polly,
    Perhaps I found your sight for such a time to pray for you and your family, and especially your husband during this time. The body of Christ is united by the Holy Spirit. I encourage you to continue to find the joy in your busy days of mothering. Elisabeth Elliot says there is no grace in the "what ifs", the strength to trust and to endure comes from Him alone. Prayers...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so, so much. I love that reminder from Elisabeth Elliott and am carrying it with me this week. Thank you for the prayers.

      Delete
  5. I will. My husband is right now with his oncologist for a routine check up.

    ReplyDelete