Monday, May 21, 2018

Though the Fig Tree

After a tense weekend of waiting, we got the call at 8:30 this morning: the PET scan showed cancer. The doctor wanted us in his office for a biopsy at 3:00 (the biopsy confirms cancer, to be sure the PET scan didn't give a false positive). We talked for a long time, and then he performed the biopsy.

We'll get those results back sometime this week, and we go back to the doctor in a week for further discussion and probably for a needle lymph node biopsy because the PET scan lit up not just in my husband's mouth but also on his neck.  And we can, in fact, feel a mass on his neck.

This is such a surreal time.  In the elevator today I told my husband "I never thought I'd come here again."  When we left the surgeon's office in February I figured I was done with him; we all anticipated that. His surgeon is surprised.  We're all just stunned.  After a six-hour surgery with clean margins, a perfectly healthy 42 year old man with no risk factors comes back into the office 3 months later with cancer on his tongue again *and* in the lymph nodes?!  

Earlier this month I was looking at June, July, and August as an idyllic era of drifting between the garden and the swimming pool. Suddenly it is looking like radiation and chemotherapy.  This cancer appears more aggressive and tenacious than anticipated.  But I have news for it: my husband is the most tenacious human I know! He ran a 4:30 mile in high school, he ran Division 1 track and cross-country in college, he's no stranger to tackling challenges, and he's smart and determined.  

So today I was thinking about how we respond to disappointments, and the phrase "though the fig tree" kept surfacing in my mind.


"Though the fig tree does not bud
and there are no grapes on the vines,
though the olive crop fails
and the fields produce no food,
though there are no sheep in the pen
and no cattle in the stalls,
yet I will rejoice in the Lord,
I will be joyful in God my Savior.
The Sovereign Lord is my strength;
he makes my feet like the feet of a deer,
he enables me to tread on the heights."

--Habakkuk 3:17-19



I will be joyful in God my Savior. Yes. I will. 

8 comments:

  1. Oh Polly, I'm so sorry! I'll be praying for you all. I've been reading about healing cancer naturally...this site gives the best info if you're interested. chrisbeatcancer.com Linn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Linn! I have visited that site many times over the past few months! :)

      Delete
  2. Polly, I'm so sorry, and will be praying. I'm sure you all are aware of the research on calorie restriction and overcoming cancer?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry, but thank you for bringing us up to date. You have been very much in my thoughts. I am told that we are never sent more than we can bear. I try to hold on to this in difficult times.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry. Praying for your sweet family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Polly, I was so surprised to read your update tonight. I'm guessing you are just stunned and in disbelief right now. I'm so sorry. I'm praying for you as you walk this journey together, that the treatments will be effective, and that this will be the end of it! Ugh. I hate this for you! xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Polly,
    I hate hearing this, and it is good you can share in this space with these words of disappointment, uncertainty, and faith. You willl not be able to walk another difficult journey unless you maintain a tenacious faith in Him Who is, and Who was, and Who is to come. The prayers of the saints will gird you and your family. I do hope you will find the time to write here despite your busy days. I will pray for all of you.

    ReplyDelete