Sunday, June 28, 2020

Social Media and Cell Phones

I reflect uneasily and often on the culture my children are growing up in right now. I'm not talking about the big news stories, actually, which are issues enough to manage in themselves; I'm just talking about technology.

Technology can be a great blessing.  And yet it can also be a terrible distraction.

Lately I've been trying to puzzle this out.  My sister has been texting me a lot, so I feel I've been on my phone a ton, because I want to be available to her. (She just closed on her first-ever home on Friday!  I helped her with house-hunting, financing details, insurance coverage, inspection report, and a million other little details.)  She is unmarried, and so in many ways I'm her support person. ;) 

And then there's social media. Instagram. Facebook.  Those are the only two things I do, but that's enough, and some days I am tempted to just get rid of it all and see what life would look and feel like.  It's a double-edged sword: on the one hand, I like the connection it can provide.  On the other hand, sometimes the connection is pretty tenuous and superficial.  On the other hand again, sometimes the connection leads to genuine help and encouragement. 

And there's a dark underbelly of social media, too: the combination of negativity plus the distraction/addiction that it can provide.  (Facebook was designed to be addictive!)

I am the type of person who loves meaningful interactions and conversations.  Interestingly, my best friends, most of whom do not live locally (only a couple do), are not really my social media friends at all.  I just prefer in-person discussions, deeper connections.  I think most of us do, when we step back and think about it.

And always underlying my analysis of this is the reality that my children, with every second of every day, are getting older.  Finn is a teenager now!  Annie is nine and a half!  I wonder how much time I have spent of their childhood distracted--?  I only got a iphone 2 years ago (right before my husband's surgery, because I knew that I'd need fast and easy communication with multiple people), but lo, that is a distracting device.  Before that, I found myself easily distracted by my ipod and even the laptop!  I keep notifications off on my iphone, do not have the Facebook app, and have it always turned off (so I don't hear any bells or dings), but it's still extremely distracting.  

When you are in the room with someone and they are on their phone--texting, scrolling, etc.--it can be so annoying.  And I think for children in particular, this must be particularly annoying, when their parent is on the phone.  Sometimes I will say "just a moment while I reply to this text" and I KNOW I am doing something helpful (communicating with another person about something--often something important, but admittedly, sometimes not), but my child has no idea.  They are not part of that. I don't want my children to recall me as someone who was so easily distracted by her phone/laptop/etc.

So where does that leave us?

I need to begin to pray for guidance on this. 

(A few years ago our internet quit working, and I didn't have a cell phone. I took our laptop to the coffee shop to answer emails 1-2x per week, and it was the best couple of weeks EVER! I loved it!  I asked my husband if we could just not fix the internet, but he thought that was unrealistic--because, given our situation, it really is. But I loved it.)

I'd love to hear what anyone else thinks/does about this pervasive cultural issue that doesn't look like it's going away anytime soon. How do we balance the people in front of us with the people behind the screen, especially when the people in both scenarios mean something to us? And how do we manage social media?  Do I just pretend that I don't have internet except for twice a week?!

It's a challenge for sure. 

6 comments:

  1. You are right. We waste time on it and the kids grow up fast. Praying for wisdom is a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My children are growing up so quickly....I feel like I want to hold onto these days with both hands.

      Delete
  2. I feel you. I completely got off all social media. I only have a LinkedIn account for my students and colleagues, and it was truly liberating. The only hard part is that my church meets through Facebook Live, so I have to use Scott's account to view it. He is not religious at all. It's kind of funny that his account now makes it look like he's in church every week. Also, I just finished work and am reading your blog when I could be in bed reading a book. Signing out now. I miss you. I so loved catching up last week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so nice to talk to you, my dear friend!! I miss you, too. (Ha ha on Scott attending FB Live church!)

      Delete
  3. Good morning! I found your blog from a comment you made on another blog :).

    Cell phones are heavy on my heart right now. I have deleted all social media starting in January. Blogs are now the only "social" thing I do online. There are downsides and I do miss out on things but the upside is much bigger. It has taken time though. I really went through withdrawal and had to retrain myself so that I wasn't reaching for the phone every time I had a free moment. Now I designate time to read encouraging blogs. I'm planning to start my own blog soon as well.

    I'm actually praying through cancelling my cell phone and getting a landline. I am home so much I'm not sure it's necessary. I miss the interaction of actual phone calls as it's so much easier to text for most people. We would maintain one cell phone to have in the car but not use it at home. Right now, I'm waiting for my husbands guidance on my idea.

    I know my phone has been detrimental to my family. I've committed to be home to care for my family but if my mind and heart are focused on a phone, my physical presence isn't actually doing them any good.

    Just my current thoughts! We all have to do what works for our families. Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the comment! I find that having set times to check in on things is really, really helpful. It takes a certain amount of self-discipline, though, for sure. I've taken to using "airplane mode" and one school starts, I'll have things in "airplane mode" for most of the day! I go back and forth on social media, but for now have decided to keep it, with fairly secure boundaries around use/when I check in/etc. That seems to work...but I know it evolves and changes.

      Our families do benefit SO much more from our attention and presence!! It's important to be mindful of that and not use the device as a "default" all the time. I certainly know how easy that is to do.

      Delete