Wednesday, July 1, 2020

Living with a Schedule v. Winging It

{The photos have nothing to do with the post.  I just thought I'd share some random ones.  This is sudangrass starting to pop up earlier this spring.}

Ever since I was in high school I've had a planner of some sort that I have used every single year.  For my college years I remember that I always used a basic planner with a two-page weekly spread and a nice monthly calendar. These planners were spiral-bound, cost about $10 or less at Staples or Office Max, and were *essential* to my existence!

I've tried many, many ways of scheduling and organizing my days over the years. When my babies were babies, it was more about keeping a planner so that I would know when I had appointments to keep, and a running to-do list, but the days themselves were quite loose.

During our busy academic seasons of the past few years, the planner has been essential for me to keep my head on straight while managing all of my children's activities, my own domestic tasks, my husband's schedule, etc. 

When my husband had cancer, I didn't use a planner for six months.  I had a planner, but I'm sure it was only used for doctor's appointments. I recall being ambivalent about lists.  I sort of floated through our days, taking care of whatever was in front of me, and not worrying about anything else.  It was all I could do, and it was enough.

I currently use a Filofax, with a very specific printable planning kit I bought via Etsy, and I LOVE it!  

However, during quarantine, our external structure disintegrated because all of our activities were cancelled (or moved online, in a few cases).  I quickly realized that without the rhythms of my normal activities, my day could quickly descend into chaos, and I could quickly descend into irritation!  Each day has different needs, and I do not like for all my days to be exactly the same, so I can't have the same schedule every day.  But I need some kind of structure.

{A great breakfast: bowl of berries, avocado toast with garlic and tomatoes, and coffee!}

So I came up with a solution--one that sounded crazy to me at first, but has worked beautifully: at night, I type up and print out a schedule for the next day!

From the time I wake up to the time I go to sleep, the time is planned.  Of course I naturally veer off at different points every day.  But this loose, flexible, needs-based approach has helped me tremendously.  I don't plan more than one day ahead (which is hard for me, but essential, because every day IS different in my life, and new needs pop up frequently).  My children are older, so they are predictable, and that helps.  I keep a running list of what needs to be done, and each night I check the list and see if I can squeeze any of those things into the next day.  I also include time to play with my children! 

(I realize that some people are so fun that they do not need to schedule fun.  

I have realized--and this is painful to admit--that I am not that fun.  So I am intentional about carving out time for fun!)

I use a two-column table in Microsoft Word. In the left column I put the block of time and in the right column I put the tasks or activities I want to do during that segment of time.  

{Evidence of my hosta fanaticism. I love hostas. They're actually in bloom right now!}

For some reason, this past Sunday night I didn't make a schedule for Monday.  And Tuesday we were going to be away from the house all day with necessary dental appointments and errands.  And since I didn't make a Monday or Tuesday schedule, and because last night was a late one due to all of us doing something as a family that ran waaaay late, I figured I'd let Wednesday be a "wing it" day, too.

Well.  As of about 11:00 this morning I realized that I had made a big mistake.  I was still in my pajamas.  The kitchen hadn't been cleaned from breakfast.  Finn was in his pajamas, asking me Important Theological Questions.  And I was trying to answer them and stay focused while in my pajamas with my back turned to my very dirty kitchen.  

Now, I'll gladly rearrange the entire morning's schedule if my child wants to talk to me about theology or the Bible or any other Major Issue in life, but I'd really rather that happen while I'm at least dressed and not trying to ignore a messy kitchen!  So here's the moral of that story: I'm not someone who can Wing It (my husband is), though I admire people who can. I just can't. It ends up devolving into me wandering around the house in my pajamas, forgetting laundry in the washer, and trying to figure out what to do next, so I need my plan on paper. 

{My violin.  I hope to add this to my daily schedule again very soon.}

When I printed the plan tonight, I felt so much better.  

Lord willing, I'll be in real clothes at 11:00 tomorrow, with a clean kitchen, and a list of chores already done! Whew!

4 comments:

  1. Polly, every time I read your posts I chuckle at how much I relate to you! You know how you could describe some people as "fun-loving"? I am the opposite of that. I would rather be productive or take a nap or do pretty much anything over doing something just for fun. It's not my best trait, but I figure that it's just part of the package and hopefully I have other, good traits to compensate for it!
    I love your new daily schedule idea. I'm going to try it! I've always kept a paper planner similar to the ones you described, but all of my appointments are kept on my Google calendar. The planner is more for daily brain dumping and planning, but I think your plan will be more adaptable. I can include to-do lists for my kids, too (they are pretty independent at ages 6 - 12 and just need constant prodding and reminders). So many of the things I want to accomplish in a day only take maybe 20 minutes, but if I don't schedule them in, the day can slip by without accomplishing them. Either that, or my times of rest are burdened by constantly scanning my brain for forgotten to-do items.
    Your breakfast looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, Leigh! Once a friend of mine asked what I like to do when my husband takes the children somewhere for the day and I'm home alone. I launched right into it all: gardening, organizing a space, working on a project, perhaps sewing...and the whole time she was staring at me in utter dismay. Turns out, when her husband takes their children, she drinks tea and watches movies!!

      Which sounds great, I will admit, but I also love cleaning out closets. So.

      I hope the daily schedule idea goes well! My day got really de-railed by a very long (but important) phone call and then the need to help my in-laws with a technological issue, but even in spite of all of that, I still got more done today than I had in the last few days combined. yikes. :)

      Delete
  2. Polly, I'm so glad you're blogging lately! I read your posts late at night after the house gets quiet, and they are always cheery, thought-provoking, and encouraging. And I also feel terrible that you emailed me months ago and I haven' responded--your email was so lovely and felt like a wonderful letter, and I kept waiting until I had "real" time to sit down and write you back an email that was worthy of the one you'd sent. I'm so sorry. Life has taken some unexpected turns these last 2 months and I have been barely treading water. BUT: I am emailing you back before Monday!! Pinky swear. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad to hear from you anytime! No worries! I probably hold the world record for slowest email responses, so don't sweat it. ;) Praying for you and that you are staying above the waves!!

      Delete