Monday, November 30, 2020

A Path to Plutarch

Not too long ago one of my friends asked me a few questions about teaching Plutarch.  Her son is in late elementary school, and according to Charlotte Mason's timeline, it's about time to introduce a bit of Plutarch.

I've been asked to give a couple of talks on Plutarch at a couple of (small) homeschool conferences, and the one sense I always get from mothers at these conferences is that they are straight-up intimidated by teaching Plutarch. I understand that, because I was, too: I barely knew who he was when I began teaching his Lives in our homeschool co-op a number of years ago.  So I'm not an expert; I just have some experience. 

{That's Plutarch! From a Wikipedia photo.}

I thought that I'd write a few blog posts about my own experience teaching Plutarch.  I may quote Charlotte Mason here and there, because in general I do follow her methods and wisdom in our own homeschool. But I've also learned a lot from just teaching Plutarch.  

Here's what I plan to cover in these posts:

Part One: Why? When?

Part Two: Beginnings

Part Three: Teaching Plutarch

Part Four: Group Teaching Tips 

I hope to publish one each Monday in December. 

In the meantime, if you have any questions about teaching Plutarch, or any advice/wisdom of your own to share, do feel free to speak up.  We learn best when we learn from each other!

No comments:

Post a Comment