Wednesday, November 25, 2020

My Great-Grandmother's Pillowcases

 For a few years we've had cafe curtains (that I found at a thrift shop) in our master bathroom, but I knew they were just placeholders.  Once our bathroom was finished, I decided to figure out the new curtain situation.  I wanted something a bit more linen-y than the cotton ones I had, and not too sheer.  

My aunt has given me a large collection of old things that used to belong to my grandmother and great-grandmother.  I found two similar pillowcases, both beautiful linen, tatted and embroidered by my great-grandmother.  I decided to turn them into the new curtains for our bathroom--the aged softness of the linen is a wonderful foil, in my eyes, to the cold porcelain tile.  The pillowcases also blend well with the beadboard wainscoting and the warm wood floors.  They make me happy. 

They were quick to sew and hang; I actually think I'm going to move them up about four inches, but for now, this is what they look like, and I think they're perfect.  I also love the reminder of my paternal great-grandmother every day, just as I love the reminder of my maternal grandmother every day.  

It is good to be surrounded by the memories of the people I have loved, and whose lives have so influenced and impacted my own.  


I have said it before and I'll say it again: I love old things!

No comments:

Post a Comment