Tuesday, May 17, 2022

For My Father

 In a few days I'll be able to tell my father happy birthday in person, but I had to settle for the phone on his actual birthday.   When I called him we chatted for a long time, as we are wont to do, and he said to me "time goes so quickly.  Don't waste a minute of it! Enjoy it." 

He enjoyed his career, and he has enjoyed his dozen years of retirement, in which he has done volunteer work (representing foster children in the court system, and grassroots political work). 

My Dad has taught me so much in life.  

{Dad with a newborn me!}

He taught me to drive, to laugh, to love music, to prune azaleas, to take my civic responsibilities seriously, to not take myself too seriously, to stop and smell the roses, to love my children well.  And so much more. 

{Dad with my little sister}

He is funny, intelligent, passionate about politics, self-effacing, a ready dispenser of wisdom, an excellent driver, a lover of ice cream, and an unfailingly good and calming presence in a crisis. 

And small creatures love him. 

I love my Dad!

2 comments: