Sunday, January 21, 2024

2023 Reader's Journal

 My Reader's Journal from last year is woefully bare, primarily because I kept forgetting to write down what I was reading.  I also started a new job, and that did cut into my reading time. I'm hopeful that this year I will remember to keep track and that I will make more time to read.  I read more books than this for sure--but these are the only ones I remembered to write down (and I'm terrible at trying to remember this far after the fact!).  I put an asterisk beside the ones I liked the best.

1. Dear Bob and Sue (Matt and Karen Smith)(this is a very funny book that I read when I went to the Bahamas last winter)

2. Middlemarch* (George Eliot)(this is a re-read, but I'm not done with it yet)

3. The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe* (CS Lewis)(Audible)

4. Prince Caspian* (CS Lewis)(Audible)

5. How We Die (Sherwin Nuland)

6. Several books related to practicing law (ie, contract drafting and so on)

7. The Voyage of the Dawn Treader* (CS Lewis)(Audible)(I LOVE THIS ONE!)

8. Re-Creations* (Grace Livingston Hill)

9. Digital Minimalism (Cal Newport)(another re-read) 

10. Anna Karenina (Leo Tolstory)(I'm not finished with this, so please, no spoilers! I'm about 3/4 of the way through....and I'm going to withhold my opinion until I see how it ends)

11. Debt Free U* (Zac Bissonnette)(super useful information for how to attain a college degree while taking on zero debt--this is really important to our family) 

12. Heidi* (Johanna Spyri)(with Annie-we love this sweet story)

13. The Death of Ivan Ilych* (Tolstoy)--this one is motivated me to begin Anna Karenina.  The Death of Ivan Ilych was excellent; I had read it in college, but reading it now, in midlife, after all the water that has passed under the bridge...it was completely different, and so, so good. 

....see? Pitiful! 

I read multiple books on college admissions and paying for college, the titles of which escape me (mostly library books).  I read lots of essays. I dipped into some old favorites, such as The War of Art, to read favorite sections. I think I did a lot of that "dipping into" books this year! In fact, 2023 may have been my Worst Adult Year Ever for real, meaty reading.  In reflecting upon this, I do think my job was a major factor. I read a lot for work. 

So this year I hope to read a lot more books for just plain fun. :) 

Find my other reader's journals, and some good quotes, here. Happy reading! 

No comments:

Post a Comment