Monday, May 18, 2020

A New Book Challenge

Like many people, I have found that during this season of quarantine, I have more time to read books. (When I'm not trying to garden and paint furniture...!)

I don't follow the Modern Mrs. Darcy, but I recently saw, via Roan's blog, a 2020 reading challenge posted.  I thought it looked both intriguing and doable, and decided I would try to follow along as well! It apparently consists of 12 books over the course of the year, in various categories.  They are (with my own selections for each one provided):

A Book Published the Decade You Were Born: 100 Years of Solitude --this has been on my to-read list forever--literally since I was gifted it as one of my college "book bridal shower" gifts-- but I'm so intimidated by it.  However, I am going to rise to the challenge this year!   I changed my mind! I began reading Corrie Ten Boom's The Hiding Place, and I'm loving it!  I checked the date and it was published in 1971.  So I'm going to count that instead. :) Perhaps I'll still read 100 Years....but we'll see!

A Debut Novel: Sense and Sensibility, by Jane Austen

A Book Recommended by Someone You Trust: I already listened to Spoken from the Heart by Laura Bush, recommended by Roan, but my stepmother recommended Before We Were Yours, and I may try to read that also

A Book by a Local Author: I think I'll choose Factory Man, by Beth Macy, who is *somewhat local* to my area

A Book Outside Your Comfort Zone: I have no idea!  What's outside my comfort zone--that's not inappropriate?  I love all genres. I'm still trying to figure this one out......perhaps something related to the hard sciences.  I think I will read The Martian Chronicles. I forgot that I don't like all genres--I don't like science fiction at all (and definitely not horror), nor do I like dysopian books.  My husband has been saying that he wants Finn to read The Martian Chronices for a couple of years now, because my husband really liked it in middle school.  So I'll pre-read it and see if I think it will be a good fit.  

A Book in Translation: I am currently deciding this, but I think I'll pick a translation of the Illiad or the Odyssey

A Book Nominated for an Award in 2020: The Dutch House by Ann Patchett, since *everyone* has recommended this to me

A Re-read: Anne of Green Gables, with my children :) 

A Classic You Didn't Read in School: Middlemarch, by George Eliot (I just got this on audiobook today and am eager to begin it--I've wanted to read it forever!)

Three Books by the Same Author: I debated this one, but because I read and enjoyed Peace Like a River so much, I decided to also read So Brave, Young, and Handsome and Virgil Wander, by Leif Enger. I may do at least one of these as an audio book. 

*       *      *

A week or so ago I finally decided to take the plunge and try a free Audible trial. With that, I got 2 credits for 2 books.  The first one I purchased was Laura Bush's memoir, which I thoroughly enjoyed.  I wasn't sure I would really use Audible that much, and I wasn't sure I'd like audio books, but I found myself easily listening as I folded laundry, exercised on the elliptical trainer, drove 3 hours roundtrip to go house-hunting with my sister, or cleaned the kitchen! I'm eager to listen to my next free book--that's Middlemarch. At this point, I think I will keep the Audible membership because I'm enjoying these books so much. 

Ahh! Reading is such a joy. I look forward to many hours of books this summer--I hope the pool will open so that I can read by the water soon. :) 

4 comments:

  1. What a good list! I am going to add a couple of your selections to my to-read list too. Middlemarch is a big endeavor to read, but is one of my top favorite books ever. It changed the way I look at marriage. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I'm even more excited to "read" (listen to) it!

      Delete
  2. I have tried Audible in the past, but other than long car trips, I have not experienced great success in listening to books, too much starting and stopping all over again while I am home going about my tasks. Evidently, I do not do anything long enough to make it worthwhile. But lately I am hearing from others how much they like it and thinking maybe I should give it another try. However, I made my own Reading Challenge this year and I profit well from such challenges!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have found that it works well for me to listen to a chapter on the elliptical trainer in the morning! And I've been trying to paint some furniture, so I can usually listen to it during the next coat. Since each item I'm painting (1 side table, 6 chairs, one dining table, maybe another side table) requires 2 coats of primer and THREE coats of paint (!!!)....well, that's a lot of listening! :) It only doesn't work if my children are particularly chatty, but that's okay. I love to hear them talk to me!

      Delete