Monday, December 14, 2020

A Little December Road Trip

Somehow, in spite of the fact that we aren't overwhelmed by activities, this month is flying by!

A mid-month road trip has interrupted my extensive baking plans.


This is our fourth December with a cancer scan.

The first was my husband's very first PET scan, in December 2017, which showed that the "small" cancer he had on his tongue had not spread anywhere else. 

(Yet.)

The second was his post-treatment PET scan in December 2018, which showed that two surgeries, radiation, and chemo had eradicated the Stage Four cancer that had erupted in his body.

The third was a CT scan last December, which showed that his lungs and liver continue to be healthy and cancer-free (he gets CTs every 6 months).

For the rest of my life, Advent and Christmas will be inextricably linked to cancer. It was the season when he was first diagnosed. It was the blessed season when we learned he was in remission.  Advent to Advent, a liturgical year bookended by cancer.

One day I may write an essay about that.  But for now, I'll just say:

thanks be to God 

for giving me my Christmas wish each year.  I have faith that I will receive it again this year.

(More to come on Plutarch, etiquette, books, and paint colors!)

2 comments:

  1. Hello Polly,
    I have been lately reading a book about an intercessor, Reese Howells, of Wales.
    Mr. Howells speaks of "the gained position of intercession" and the"grace of faith". My interest is piqued for I have so much to learn about intercession and faith. I like what you plainly said,"Thanks be to God"; He graciously continues to walk with you and your family and you continue to give glory to Him (Romans 4:20). Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cathy! This book sounds so fascinating. Finn and I have been talking a fair amount recently about intercession. He's 13 and asks all the big life questions, and it's interesting and challenging for me to talk to him about them. I am curious as to the book title, if you don't mind sharing it.

      God is very, very good and I'm grateful for His goodness and His sovereignty!

      Delete