Thursday, January 28, 2021

Winding Down

 January is beginning to wind down, and I'm enjoying the idea of "winding down." I'm also hopeful that February will be very, very "wound down."

I am reading a lot right now.  With no yard work to do and very little housework to accomplish (just the normal rounds of laundry, tidying, and dishes), spending time in books has been a real treat this month.  I'm also taking up my knitting needles again for the first time in a long time, and I foresee some cozy February afternoons of knitting while listening to Audible books! I hope so, anyhow!

Because this month threw a couple of curveballs.  

First, I began to be very tired and have a strange sinus-y feeling (not even sneezing, but just a strange smell/feeling).  This happened just a few days before my father was supposed to come stay with us.  I felt tired enough to schedule a covid test, and I tested negative.  Even so, we were reluctant to be in the same house together, so plans had to change for his visit.  (I'm fine now, although still fatigued.) So I spent a fair amount of time resting.  No one in my family got sick, and I never had anything more than fatigue and the mild sinus change, so all's well, but it did change my plans in a way that was unanticipated and did not please me.

Second, we had an unexpected death in the family that hit me harder than I initially thought it would when I first heard the news.  My father and I attended the funeral together yesterday.  I won't go into the complex history of my family of origin; I'll just say that the person who died was someone we loved, and someone who was an important part of my formative years, although I hadn't seen her in around 20 years.  I was surprised at my emotional exhaustion, and have decided to spend the next 3-4 days taking it very easy and gently on myself as a result.  Hot baths, good books, tea, cold walks outside, sleep.  Therapeutic things. :)

And speaking of therapeutic things, here's what I woke to this morning!

{the view up to the house that used to be my grandparents', but now belongs to my aunt and uncle}

The children and I kicked off of school early and went out to traipse around.  It was good medicine for my soul.  Lots of wind blowing snow, lots of joyful chasing after the little snow tornados.  The farm is beautiful in the snow.  I love being outdoors in God's creation.  It always settles and soothes me.  

I am grateful for the flexibility in our lives to do that, and then come inside and make hot cocoa...and now my children are watching a movie!  Why not?  It's a snow day. :) 


{looking north-east over the valley}

{just behind the house}

All those photos are taken from our back deck, which is just off of the dining area where I sit and drink coffee in the morning.  Just beautiful. 

So I'll be taking the next few days not worrying about productivity (it's overrated anyhow, I suspect!) and instead I'll just be unapologetically kind and gentle to myself. The older I get, the more I see the value in that!


4 comments:

  1. You dwell in a beautiful place. Winter beauty never ceases to amaze me.
    Before Covid people could catch a little virus that left them with symptoms of malaise, aches, pains, and even congestion. You would let your body fight it naturally and one day you would get up feeling fine! I am glad you are doing better.
    It appears the funeral you attended with your father had its own special poignancy.
    It is not perfectly clear in the Bible, but it could be that Rebekah never saw Jacob again after he had to leave fearing Esau's anger. I have always found this to have a certain poignancy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true! A little innocuous virus is a normal thing, but with covid every sniffle seems suspicious.

      I had never thought about Rebekah and Jacob, but you're right. It seems likely that she would have never seen her favorite son again. And that is poignant.

      This was a very poignant situation also, particularly for my father. I believe that in time he'll heal. Grief is very hard on a person.

      Delete
  2. Praying you feel rested soon and that February is restorative for you! Your farm views are so beautiful--there's something about snow that highlights beauty more than even the sun does! And when you have sun AND snow, that's about as perfect as a person could hope for!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sarah! I agree: sun and snow is one of the nicest combinations in the world! It's so bright and happy and clean-looking.

      Delete