Friday, July 23, 2021

A Quick Trip to the Biltmore

 This summer I made some changes to my online time that I'm implementing (I have learned to do nothing "cold turkey") and enjoying a lot.  I decided to give up social media for the summer, with an eye to just giving it up completely long-term, and I've been happily surprised at how much I just do NOT miss it.  I have used Facebook a couple times to ask advice-related questions (to-wit: one basin or two for our new sink? pull-down faucet or side spray?!), but otherwise, I've been pretty absent from the Instagram and Facebook platforms. I felt that I didn't use them THAT much, but I do think that the minutes add up, and I didn't like that sometimes in spare moments my compulsion was to pick up my phone and check it.  I never had the Facebook app at all, and I never had notifications on, but still.  I don't miss it!  And I have the accounts in case I *need* to pop on and check something, but otherwise I'm basically ignoring social media and it's really nice.

Another thing I did a few weeks ago was turn off my text notifications.  I've never had email notifications on because I just don't like being NOTIFIED all the time. And I always keep my phone on silent unless I'm away from my children!  Turning off text notifications was great because if I pick my phone up to listen to my current Audible book ("Persuasion," SO GOOD, sigh) or set a timer or use the calculator or check the weather, I don't get distracted by the fact that there are 3 unread texts! It's really quite helpful.  This probably only works because my children are with me all the time, not driving, and don't have phones, but I'm enjoying the feeling of not being notified every time someone texts me.  Whew. 

Our summer is quite busy, but also nice. Today I was able to stay home and just enjoy sleeping in, cuddling with both of my children, then painting my cabinet doors and cabinet frames while listening to Jane Austen.  After lunch I went outside to work for two and a half hours in the yard--it was hot but not humid, and that makes all the difference!  Our vegetable garden is overrun with weeds, so I am trying to get it under control.  A pipe dream, but I can try.....

Last week we took Finn on his "Christmas gift trip" to Asheville, North Carolina to see the Biltmore.  Oh, Asheville. You're such a quirky town! On the way down we went to Mount Mitchell, the highest peak east of the Mississippi.  It was a beautiful day. 


This was my fifth time at the Biltmore, I think. I also think it was the hottest!  We did a Friday morning house tour, then enjoyed the grounds before heading to a French restaurant (Bouchon, if you know Asheville) for dinner--a treat for our resident Francophone.  I got the duck l'orange and the creme brulee, but should've gotten the almond trout and the chocolate mousse.  It was all quite good, though!


The second day we did the rooftop tour, which I knew Finn would L O V E.  And he did.  He soaked in every detail. He had studied floor plans; he knew where everything was, but seeing it in person was cool, and the tour gave us behind-the-scenes construction details that thrilled his little design-oriented heart.  


We spent that afternoon dodging thunderstorms, but got a photo with the Diana statue before the skies opened! 

Next week Finn and Annie will BOTH be at drama camp (and I hope they stay healthy--Annie's church camp illness was a doozy).  I plan to organize a few spaces that are annoying me (Annie's room, the schoolroom table), keep painting cabinetry, have lunch and knit with a friend, have our countertop fabricator come measure the kitchen, and celebrate my husband's 46th birthday!  (When you've had stage four cancer, believe you me, *every* birthday is a reason to celebrate.)

I wish I had a photo of Annie and Finn to share--mostly to show how tall Finn is getting.  We are seeing eye-to-eye now, my little tow-headed, blue-eyed baby and I.  It's wonderful, sobering, and strange!  He will soon be taller than I am!

Time, you do fly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment