Friday, July 9, 2021

Summering So Far

 July is here! This is the last day of my children's summer camp, a week that didn't go quite as expected. Isn't that how life is sometimes?

Dropping Finn off on Sunday for 5 nights of residential summer camp was so hard! I cried as we left and he looked pretty stoically teary as well.  We pick him up this evening and I cannot wait to see him and hear how his week went.  Annie was dropped off on Monday morning at the same camp (she was a day camper this week), with no tears!  She and her best friend were attending together and they were excited and ready for some Real Fun!

My husband was off on Monday, so he and I hiked up my favorite mountain.  We didn't stop for the entire hike--it's pretty much straight up to the top.  Impressive! After that we went to have lunch together at our favorite Indian restaurant in the city.  And by the time we were done, it was time to pick up Annie!

Tuesday I took my cousin to the airport and then had an appointment for a manicure/pedicure.  Then I was off to exercise and spend the afternoon by the pool, pre-reading books for the book club that I'm organizing for Annie and her best friend for the upcoming school year.  I lasted two hours (that was four books!) before I got tired of being a lady of leisure and had to leave!  A quick grocery run and drop-off, and then it was time to get Annie!  

Wednesday was another day completely away from home--dentist! Home Depot!  Target! Clothes shopping! Etc! I was exhausted by the end of the day and decided Thursday and Friday would be complete rest days for me.....

When I picked Annie up on Wednesday, she had a raging sore throat.  I took her to Urgent Care, got a negative strep test, and came home, but after that the week got derailed!  Poor Annie!  She is sick.  Sore throat, congestion, coughing, extreme fatigue, vomiting (she always vomits with congestion, but this seems even worse than usual), low-grade fever, etc. I babied her all day yesterday and this morning decided to go back to the doctor's office to be sure we're not dealing with THE virus, just A virus.  She was again tested for strep, as well as flu and covid.  Negative for all three, fortunately!  This afternoon I'm feeling like my throat might be just a little bit scratchy, so I'm bracing myself.  I've been sleeping with Annie, doting on her, holding her, sitting with her in a steamy bathroom, etc., so I'd be happily surprised if I do not catch this bad cold.  In other words: I might be down with a cold soon.  But I hope it is a quick one, because we are supposed to be traveling next week!



In other news here, all the upper cabinet doors are off our kitchen cabinets, and I'm slowly (oh-so-slowly) trying to paint them.  

Most of my school planning is done for the year ahead; I only have a few loose ends to tie up this month. (How is it possible that Finn is 14 and going into HIGH SCHOOL?)

I'm trying to decide what to purchase to replace my 28-year-old beige laminate countertops. They've been great countertops, but I'm ready for an updated look. However, we aren't replacing the builder's-grade cabinetry, but we might want to do that in 15 years, so I don't think I want to invest in my all-time favorite countertops at this point (matte quartz)--they're really pricey!  I've gotten quotes for matte and polished quartz, high-grade laminate, and solid surface from four different places.  I think I'm narrowing my choices! I want to get that decision made this month and get countertops ordered--so that once we start school, I don't have to put any mental energy into this decision!

Mr. Polly turns 46 in a couple of weeks. I am so thankful for every birthday he celebrates!

Only four more hours until I can go pick up Finn...I'm counting the seconds.  Five nights is a long time! I can't wait to give my big boy a hug. I've missed him so very much. What a milestone he has hit this summer! I'm proud of him.  

Happy summering!

No comments:

Post a Comment