Wednesday, April 13, 2022

Easter Skirts

 I've had this pale blue linen for years (I mean, years). My original plan was probably a wrap dress for summer.  But that plan never was executed, and I'm glad, because this year I decided to make it into Easter skirts for Annie and me. 

My skirt is an old favorite pattern with 6 gores: Simplicity 5914.  I have made this pattern so many times! But I realized I hadn't sewn anything for myself since I lost weight a few years ago. I had to figure out my new size and cut that out--a daunting prospect as I didn't want to cut something too large, nor too small...and I didn't have the time or desire to make a muslin sample of any sort. But I hit it just right!

The linen was a little on the sheer side, so I lined my skirt with the remainder of a white cotton sheet I'd gotten from somewhere and used for something. It hangs so nicely now! And is not, in any way, see-through.  (My mom used to wear slips. I don't even own a slip.  Maybe I should?)

For Annie's skirt I couldn't resist the urge to go rogue and just make up a pattern. So that's what I did. I wanted pleats, but pleats that "faced" each other in the front and back.  I was reminded that making up your own design is always more work than just using a pattern, but it turned out so cute! When I was going through my fabric stash last week I found a creamy polyester that served absolutely no purpose and that I inherited from my grandmother, and I realized that I probably had just enough to use as a lining for Annie's skirt.  So hers is fully-lined, too. 

We are going to wear our skirts with white cardigans and neutral shoes (pumps for me, sandals for her). Annie has asked if we can please wear our matching pearl headbands. I felt that was taking it too far, but she's 11 years old and longs for us to "match."  How can I refuse her?  

Finally, I packed her baptism necklace: a sweet little cross on the same chain as a heart, engraved with her initials and her baptism date.  She gets to wear it on special occasions!

I think we are ready for Easter now. 

3 comments:

  1. "...she's 11 years old and longs for us to "match." How can I refuse her?"

    🥰

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, buy a slip! It is for both 'privacy' and the way the smoothness of the fabric allows for a smoother wear under the probably stiffer fabric of the skirt/dress and that not getting stuck on the legs. It allows the wearer to move without always pulling the skirt or dress. I don't know that I have explained it well, but I pulled a link below that may help. I did not always like wearing slips when younger (late 30s now); and rarely saw others wearing them, but it does make a difference I think!

    this post: http://likemotherlikedaughter.org/2022/01/ask-auntie-leila-wardrobe-foundations/ and comments give some thoughts to wearing a slip. I hope that is helpful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I grew up wearing slips (thanks to my mother!), but abandoned the habit in my early adulthood. I will ponder mending my ways....!! ;)

      Delete