Monday, April 18, 2022

The Last of the Charleston Fabric and Patterns

 I went through what appears to be the very last of the fabric and patterns that were my grandmother's. I've got over 100 of her vintage patterns at my house, and have given away even more.  Carried everything down from the steaming hot attic on Wednesday afternoon, and went through it all on the living room floor with Annie while Finn did his final Spanish 2 class by Facetime in the front bedroom.

Many fabrics were sent away, because I knew I'd never use them.  Annie kept a bunch for making doll dresses.  And I kept some--most of it newer fabrics that my stepmom had actually purchased a dozen years ago, but not used.  

Interestingly, I had been pondering whether to go to a fabric store or thrift store down here for some white cotton fabric to use for lining dresses and making pinafores for Annie.  Ask and you shall receive!  I have now come into many yards of exactly what I need, thanks to the attic! This is great because I am continuing my commitment to sewing through the stash and carefully managing money.

And even better, I'd looked online last week for a princess-seamed dress (they tend to look better on me, with my scoliosis: horizontal lines are not my friends).  But I found one in the attic! The top pattern is the one I will use; the bottom one is too small for me, but I kept it to use for Annie one day, if she wants it.  Most of the patterns were sent away--a huge box!--but we did keep about a dozen or so for ourselves. And lots of zippers!


And little bits of memory lane: two fabrics I recognized immediately.  They both made me laugh with the memories of them.

My grandmother made a blouse and skirt in this fabric for my mom, in the late 80s! The top was white with grey dots and the skirt was grey with white dots.  


And, also in the late 80s, she made a jumper/romper for me with poufy pants and black buttons up the front, out of this corduroy fabric.  Can't you picture it?  I was awkward, wore a back brace, and had crooked teeth.  


Thank you, Grandma Polly!

No comments:

Post a Comment