Thursday, May 26, 2022

The Beginning Glimpses of Summer

 I am back from Charleston! And trying to settle in at home.  Frequent travel is challenging, but I am getting it down to a science now.

This time around we stayed at my dad's house the entire time, with two exceptions: on Friday morning the children and I walked to get croissants at our favorite local bakery, and on Sunday morning we all went to church! Otherwise, we were at the house working in the yard: pruning azaleas, pulling out wisteria, tackling Virginia Creeper, etc.  I even startled a snake! (He startled me, too.)  On Sunday after church it rained, so we took the opportunity to sit and watch Babette's Feast, a film I'd never seen but my stepmother loves.  I loved it, too!  Danish films have a special place in my heart since Annie was named, in part, after a character in one! I highly recommend Babette's Feast (1987) and Ordet (1955). 

Now we are home for the bulk of the summer. June will be an at-home month; we are hoping Dad will come visit us then.  Annie and Finn both have drama day camp for a week, Annie has church camp (not overnight, just day!) for a week, Finn turns 15 (!), we are attending a wedding, an outdoor violin concert, a ballet, and (well, Annie) a quinceanera! I have an extensive list of things I'd like to try to tackle during our time at home, of course, as well as some writing projects to do. We hope to return to Charleston in July for a bit more yardwork and some beach time. In August, we hope to have my husband take a "staycation" for a week at home before Finn picks up the first two of his four online classes on August 20th.  I know it will all go so quickly.....

We have wrapped up (or dropped off, as the case may be) most of our schoolwork at this point so that we are just left with math for both children, plus some history and literature readings for Finn.  I really enjoy this time of the year, the beginning glimpses of summer, when the schoolwork lessens and we join the pool (next week!).

Today my father has his first scan since going off of chemotherapy, and staying on only immunotherapy.  I pray that it shows that the cancer is still at bay, and that the immunotherapy is helping his body keep it under control.  His hair is quickly growing in, and although he is tired, he's doing so, so well.  Please say a prayer for him, if you're willing.  

The most exciting thing in our lives right now is supposed to happen tomorrow.  Stay tuned for photos of The Thing That Annie Cannot Stop Talking About and The Thing That Will Keep Her Occupied All Summer.  Oh, the excitement, the sweetness, the thrill!

Tomorrow.....

2 comments:

  1. I continue to pray for your dad.
    Sounds like y'all have a busy summer lined up.
    Curious for tomorrow's "reveal"...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Mr. Darcy resembles my Miss Kitty Purl...how sweet is the pic with the paws over the back?!

    ReplyDelete