Saturday, September 3, 2022

Departing Summer

 Here we are, in September already!  I can hardly believe it; the time has flown so quickly this summer.  Or to quote Annie's Venezuelan ballet master: "where the time does go?"

We are in Charleston (again!) this weekend, and this time my husband was able to come along to see my Dad for the first time since Easter, when my husband flew into Charleston at midnight from Finland on Good Friday and spent two happy and jet-lagged days here. 

I am working on knitting my first lace item, a green merino wool scarf that has been ripped out *twice*--once because after about nine inches of work, I realized I'd misinterpreted the pattern, and the second time because after about five inches of work, I realized I'd gotten too involved in my own thoughts and was somehow a few stitches short of a row.  I have begun again in earnest, with complete understanding of the pattern and the determination to stay focused!  

My father is two weeks out from finishing his two weeks of brain radiation, and he's a trooper. Brain radiation is not for the faint of heart. He had to spend three days *in the ER* (not kidding--in the emergency room for three days) last week, but things are more stable now.  He's a bit unsteady on his feet, weak as a kitten, fatigued from the brain radiation, but still smiling.  And so grateful for his many blessings. And so am I. If you think of it, please continue to pray for him: for few side effects, for a good quality of life, for faith and grace in the midst of it all.  

Gardening has been on the very back burner this summer, due to Life Circumstances.  And yet things continue to be pretty even without my active help.  My beloved "Autumn Joy" sedum is green, but will turn pink this month.


And the David Austin "Desdemona" roses that I planted last year are having a very good second year of life, in spite of my benign neglect.  These roses have the most gorgeous "old rose" scent, and their color is perfect for my preferred palate of pinks, greens, and the occasional purpley-blue. 


I'm trying to keep up with daily walks, enjoy my treats (morning coffee...good books...fun earrings), stay kind to my husband and children, keep everyone fed, clothed, and educated, and "rejoice at the times to come." Always

And life is still beautiful.  


4 comments:

  1. Hi Polly, This is Peggy in Fredericksburg, a faithful reader. You and your family are in my prayers. I want you to know how thankful I am for your writings, so much so, that when I am having a not great day, I find great comfort and encouragement in re-reading your posts from the early years. Wishing you peace and courage. Peggy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Peggy--Thank you for this thoughtful note and for your prayers! I'm heartened by your kindness. And if you're in Fredericksburg,VA--that's where my sweet mom attended college!

      Delete
  2. Would that have been Mary Washington College, back in the day? It is a lovely place. One of my daughters graduated in 2004, the last year before it became known as University of Mary Washington, I believe. What a small world, and a sweet memory for you of your mother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the one! She graduated in 1970, way back when it was a girls'-only college, the sister school of UVA!

      Delete