Sunday, October 16, 2022

Auf Wiedersehen, Papa

 My earnest-yet-irreverent, larger-than-life, sincere-yet-witty, gentle giant of a father graduated from the burdens of this earthly life at 6 am on the first day of autumn.


My sister, stepmother, and I were with him.  There is so much to say--about God's mercy, about the timing of it all, about the brutal last hours, about what it feels like now that I have witnessed both of my parents die--and neither were pretty, easy deaths.  But I don't wish to say much at this point.  Only that I believe God is in all our tomorrows.  He is ever-present.  He has experienced a painful, traumatic death.  So I trust Him.

Somehow, through the grace of God, I was able to eulogize my father a week after his death without a meltdown. It was so, so good to do that.  It felt right.

After two weeks in Charleston, I came home to the mountains and found that fall had descended; the door on summer was resoundingly closed.  Crisp mornings, swirling leaves, turning colors.  

The season has, once again, irreversibly shifted.

Auf weidersehen, Papa. Godspeed. And thank you, thank you, thank you.

8 comments:

  1. Dear Polly, This is Peggy in Fredericksburg. I have been worried about you and feared hearing this news. I am lifting you and your family up in prayer, hoping that you will be comforted in your grief. It is a hard thing to watch one's father fall ill and die. I hope that one day your memories will not be of those last sad days, but of happy, better times. With deep sympathy, Peggy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Peggy. I appreciate your sweet words and especially your prayers.

      Delete
  2. Oh Polly, I am so sorry to hear of your father's passing. He fought the good fight.
    Eternal rest grant unto him O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon him. May he rest in peace. Amen.
    I will continue to pray for your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jo! He did indeed. And amen. Thank you so much for your prayers. They truly do help.

      Delete
  3. I am so sorry!! It is so hard to say good-bye to a parent. He knew your story from the very beginning. I was afraid of this when you hadn't posted for awhile. Hold tight to your memories and the love her had for you! Jill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jill! We have so many memories; they do help. And it has been a sobering reality that both those souls who knew me from the first breaths of life are now gone. I am thankful for the legacy of love they left to me--the best legacy of all.

      Delete
  4. Polly, I'm so sorry. I will pray for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Please pray for his siblings and my stepmother also. It's such a hard thing to lose a brother or a husband. They're healing, but it takes time.

      Delete